Calculating Rotations and Linear Acceleration in a Flywheel System

• Thread starter PhysicsPhun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flywheel
In summary: Yes, your answer is on target.In summary, Cookie is trying to calculate the net linear acceleration of a particle that is located at a distance of 37.0 cm from the axis of rotation when the flywheel is turning at 0.390 rev/min. She finds that the magnitude of the net linear acceleration is .0006159 m/s^2.
PhysicsPhun
I missed a week of school so I'm a bit behind, i do have a book so i need just a bit of guidance. Any extra help would be appreciated.

Question Part 1
The flywheel of a steam engine runs with a constant angular speed of 115 rev/min. When steam is shut off, the friction of the bearings and the air (assumed constant) brings the wheel to rest in 2.20 hours. How many rotations does the wheel make before coming to rest?

Part 2
Consider a particle that is located at a distance of 37.0 centimeters from the axis of rotation when the flywheel is turning at 0.390 rev/min. What is the magnitude of the net linear acceleration of this particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular motion formulas have a direct analog to kinematics formulas. The formula relating velocity and acceleration in kinematics,

v = at

simply becomes

[tex]\Delta \omega = \alpha \Delta t[/tex]

where omega is the angular velocity and alpha is the angular acceleration. From that formula, you can calculate the acceleration. Then we have the equation

[tex]\Delta(v^2) = 2a\Delta x[/tex]

becomes

[tex]\Delta(\omega^2) = 2\alpha \Delta \theta[/tex]

from which you can calculate theta.

For the second part, centripetal acceleration is related to linear velocity by

[tex]a = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

and linear velocity is related to angular velocity by

[tex]v= \omega r[/tex]

Combine the two and you're done.

cookiemonster

Got the first part, and now workin to understand the second. I'll let you know. Thanks.

For Part two, this is what I've come up with and I'm stuck on.
w = 115 rev/min
r = .37 m

Does v^2 in the first equation equal (wr)^2?

I missed all the work on Omega and such, I'm having a lot of trouble with some work.

Yes. v^2 = (wr)^2.

cookiemonster

Therefore..
(wr)^2/.37 should give me my answer?

Yes.

cookiemonster

I'm getting 4893.25.. m/s^2 and that's not right.

Should i be converting 115 rev/min to something?

PhysicsPhun said:
I'm getting 4893.25.. m/s^2 and that's not right.

Should i be converting 115 rev/min to something?

radians/min?

I'll look up how to do that. or does anyone know off hand?

One revolution = 2π radians;
One minute = 60 seconds.

Didn't you say that it was going .390 rev/min?

(.390rev/min)(1min/60sec)(2pi rad/1rev) = .0408 rad/s

cookiemonster

Consider a particle that is located at a distance of 37.0 centimeters from the axis of rotation when the flywheel is turning at 0.390 rev/min. What is the magnitude of the net linear acceleration of this particle?

Ya you're right Cookie.. I was lookin at the first part.
(wr)^2/r
(.0408*.37)^2/.37

a =.0006159 m/s^2.. Does that look right?

.39 rev/min isn't very fast.

cookiemonster

so my answer is on target?

1. What is a flywheel?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy. It typically consists of a heavy wheel or disc that rotates on an axis and is used to maintain a steady speed in a machine or to store energy for later use.

2. How does a flywheel work?

A flywheel works by converting kinetic energy into potential energy and vice versa. When a force is applied to the flywheel, it starts to rotate and store energy. This energy can then be released to perform work when needed.

3. What are the applications of a flywheel?

Flywheels have a wide range of applications in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, and energy. They are commonly used in engines, power generators, and energy storage systems.

4. What are the advantages of using a flywheel?

One of the main advantages of a flywheel is its ability to store energy and release it quickly when needed. This makes it a valuable tool for balancing and stabilizing the operation of machines and systems. Flywheels also have a long lifespan and require little maintenance.

5. What are the disadvantages of using a flywheel?

One potential disadvantage of using a flywheel is its weight and size, which can make it difficult to incorporate into smaller systems. Additionally, flywheels can lose energy over time due to friction and may require additional mechanisms, such as magnetic bearings, to minimize this loss. They also have limitations in terms of the amount of energy they can store and release at once.