What makes some of the latex appear smoother than other?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, there is a discussion about the appearance of LaTeX in a Physics Forums thread. Some users noticed that hellfire's LaTeX appears smoother than Tipi's, but other than that, there is not much of a difference. It is believed that this difference is due to a change in the internal rendering settings for LaTeX on the site. The older posts, including hellfire's, have anti-aliased graphics. This change is not a special feature for select members, but rather a result of a different LaTeX generator used on the site in the past. The same change also occurred on MathWorld.
Physics news on Phys.org
Tipi centered his equations. hellfire did not. Other than that, I don't see any difference (Safari and Firefox).

I didn't pay attention to that. But that must be a different thing. Usually all latex appears like the Tipi's one (but on the left), and not as smooth as the hellfire's latex. Is hellfire doing something differently, or is that some special feature for only some members?

What do mean by "smooth", and what browser are you using? Other than the fact that one is centered and one is not I don't see any qualitative difference.

Sorry, I didn't understand. I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu linux, and I checked that with Opera I see the same thing. The hellfire's latex has some kind of anti-aliasing, that I haven't seen elsewhere.

jostpuur said:
I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu linux

Same here. Hellfire's appears "softer" and Tipi's more "ragged/jagged." Maybe a screenshot could help.

I don't think its a special feature for select members. The difference is minimal as far as I can see. As for why it is like that, I do not know. I think if anyone would know it would be chroot.

The older post has anti-aliased graphics.
My guess is that there was a difference in the internal rendering settings [for ghostscript, probably] at the time of each post.

Can we make it the default -- I think it looks rather nice...

It's a schroedinbug! I swear the integral signs in hellfire's and Tipi' s posts appeared to be identical the first time I looked at this thread. Now that jostpuur saw a difference, everyone can (incuding me).

hellfire's post is from 02-08-2005, when there was a different (and more resource-hungry) LaTeX generator used on this site. The engine currently in use is MimeTeX; I don't remember what the old one was called.

The same change happened to MathWorld a year or so ago, too.

1. What causes the differences in smoothness among different latex products?

The smoothness of latex products is primarily affected by the manufacturing process and the quality of raw materials used. Latex that is processed at a higher temperature and pressure tends to have a smoother surface. Additionally, the type and amount of additives, such as fillers and curing agents, can also impact the smoothness of the final product.

2. Can the smoothness of latex be improved?

Yes, the smoothness of latex can be improved by using higher quality raw materials and optimizing the manufacturing process. Some manufacturers also use surface treatments or coatings to enhance the smoothness of their latex products.

3. Are there any factors that can decrease the smoothness of latex?

Yes, there are several factors that can decrease the smoothness of latex. These include using low-quality raw materials, improper processing techniques, and the presence of air bubbles or impurities in the latex. Poor storage conditions or exposure to high temperatures can also lead to a decrease in smoothness.

4. Is there a correlation between the smoothness of latex and its strength?

In general, there is a positive correlation between the smoothness of latex and its strength. This is because a smoother surface implies a more uniform and compact structure, which can contribute to the overall strength and durability of the latex product. However, other factors such as the type of latex and additives used can also affect the strength of the product.

5. Can the smoothness of latex affect its performance?

Yes, the smoothness of latex can affect its performance in various applications. For example, in medical settings, a smoother surface can reduce the risk of irritation or allergic reactions for patients. In industrial applications, a smoother surface can improve the flow properties of the latex, making it easier to process and reducing the likelihood of defects in the final product.