Determine maximum allowable weight of a load supported by chains

In summary, the conversation revolves around a homework problem involving vector components and the inclusion of Fad in the equations. The solution is to approach the problem by breaking it down into simpler problems and paying attention to cosine and sine values. The critical relationship is that Fad is equal to W. The conversation also touches on the importance of putting effort into solving homework problems and not getting frustrated.
Lithlyrian
Please help me figure out how to solve the problem I attached.

Thanks for any and all help-

Lith

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 813
Engineering news on Phys.org
You're supposed to take some effort in solving homework problems, but I'll give you one hint: vector components.

I have taken a lot of effort and was very frustrated when posting; sorry I did not include my work.
I am at a loss as to how to include the chain that's attached to the weight.

Here is what I am getting; I know it is wrong because the weight is far too small a value.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx = -Fab(sin 90 degrees) + Fac (sin 60 degrees) = 0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy = Fab (cos 90 degrees) + Fac (cos 60 degrees) - W = 0

setting Fab to max load, Fab = 450 lb
Thus Fac = 519.62 lb and W = 259.8076 lb

I am not including Fad so I know this is incorrect. Please tell me how to incorporate Fad into this equation properly.

I know the weight of the engine can be much greater than 260 pounds if there are three chains that can each support at the very least 400 lb...

I'm not sure how far along you are, and the fact this topic is 2 weeks old, you probably already figured this out, or moved on... Regardless I thought I would shed some light on the situation just for future reference.

For a stater, I modified your jpeg, to show the relationship between Fad, and W, which you missed. This is done by cutting the link in order to evaluate the forces on it.

Here is the critical relationship confusing you:

Fad = W

Using this:

Fx = -Fab(sin 90 degrees) + Fac (sin 60 degrees) = 0
Fx = -Fab(1) + Fac(sin60) = 0
Fx = -Fab + Fac(sin60)

Fy = Fab(cos90) + Fac(cos60) - Fad = 0
Fy = 0 + Fac(cos60) - Fad = 0
Fy = Fac(cos60) - W = 0

Remember, the trick with statics is to cut up the problem to make it into simpler problems. Amazingly complex stuff can be conquered by doing this, but if you try to attack it all at once, you will pull your hair out. Also, pay attention to those cos90's and sin90's, that stuff simplifies down right away and eliminates terms and such- after a while and a bit of practice you don't even really need to put them in there.

You seem to be on the right track.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 756
PS: Pardon my aweful MSpaint skills and the crappy default font.

What is the maximum allowable weight that can be supported by chains?

The maximum allowable weight that can be supported by chains depends on several factors, such as the type and strength of the chains, the condition of the chains, and the method of attachment. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications and guidelines to determine the exact maximum weight that can be supported by a specific chain.

How do I determine the strength of a chain?

The strength of a chain is typically indicated by its grade, which is determined by the material and construction of the chain. For example, a grade 70 chain is stronger than a grade 30 chain. The strength of a chain can also be determined by conducting load tests, where the chain is subjected to increasing weights until it reaches its breaking point. Again, it is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for the specific strength of a chain.

What factors affect the maximum weight that can be supported by chains?

As mentioned earlier, the type and strength of the chains, their condition, and the method of attachment are all factors that can affect the maximum weight that can be supported by chains. Other factors such as the angle of the chains, the temperature, and the presence of any obstructions or sharp edges can also impact the maximum weight that can be safely supported by chains.

Can I use multiple chains to support a heavier load?

Yes, in some cases, using multiple chains can increase the maximum allowable weight that can be supported. However, it is important to carefully consider the strength and condition of each chain, as well as the method of attachment, to ensure that they can safely support the load. It is also recommended to consult with a professional engineer to determine the appropriate number and arrangement of chains for a specific load.

What are some safety precautions to take when using chains to support a load?

When using chains to support a load, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and procedures. This includes regularly inspecting the chains for signs of wear or damage, avoiding overloading the chains, and ensuring that the load is evenly distributed. It is also important to use proper equipment, such as hooks, shackles, and tensioners, to securely attach the chains to the load. Additionally, always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and eye protection, when handling chains.