Help with Hartle: Calculating Elapsed Time

• Thread starter HeLLe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hartle
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a confusing problem related to observers with atomic clocks on the surface of the Earth. They are asked to calculate the total elapsed time on each clock and determine which clock registers the longest proper time. They also express confusion about the third observer's role and the calculation process.
HeLLe
Help with Hartle!

Hello,
I find Hartle's working very confusing. I was wondering if someone could help me decode this problem:

Three observers are standing near each other on the surface
of the Earth. Each holds an accurate atomic clock. At time t = 0 the first observer
throws their clock straight up so that it returns at time T as measured by the clock
of the second observer, who holds their clock in their hand for the entire time interval.
The third observer carries their clock up to the maximum height reached by the thrown
clock, and back down, moving with constant speed on each leg of the trip and returning
in time T.
Calculate the total elapsed time measured on each clock assuming that the maximum
height is much smaller than the radius of the Earth. Include gravitational effects but
calculate to order 1/c2 only using non-relativistic trajectories. Which clock registers
the longest proper time? Why is this?

I am assuming the clocks higher in the gp tick faster, but how the heck do we calculate the total elapsed time, and what's up with observer #3 ??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Will I get any replies?

You are being asked to calculate proper time along three different paths to some approximation. Write each path in terms of, say, local coordinate time. Now what's the definition of proper time along a path with a given metric tensor?

1. What is the formula for calculating elapsed time?

The formula for calculating elapsed time is: End Time - Start Time = Elapsed Time.

2. How do I convert elapsed time to hours, minutes, and seconds?

To convert elapsed time to hours, minutes, and seconds, you can use the following formula: Elapsed Time (in seconds) / 3600 = Hours (Elapsed Time (in seconds) % 3600) / 60 = Minutes (Elapsed Time (in seconds) % 3600) % 60 = Seconds

3. Can elapsed time be negative?

Yes, elapsed time can be negative if the end time is earlier than the start time. This can occur when calculating time across days or when using a 24-hour clock.

4. How do I handle fractions of a second when calculating elapsed time?

To handle fractions of a second, you can convert the fractions to decimals. For example, 0.5 seconds would be equivalent to 0.5/60 = 0.0083 minutes. You can then add this decimal to the total elapsed time in minutes before converting to hours, minutes, and seconds.

5. Can I use the same formula for calculating elapsed time in different time zones?

Yes, the formula for calculating elapsed time can be used in any time zone. However, make sure to use the appropriate time zone for the start and end times to get an accurate calculation.