Converge or diverge arctan [please move to calculus section]

In summary, The discussion is about a problem in calculus involving the convergence or divergence of a series involving arctan. The question is whether the limit of arctan(x) as x approaches infinity exists, and if so, what its value is. The solution involves using the definition of arctan and the squeeze theorem to show that the limit is equal to pi/2. Additionally, the use of a series representation for arctan is suggested as a way to prove the limit.
rcmango

Homework Statement

Sorry wrong section! should be in calculus!

does this problem converge or diverge?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start, I've never seen a series arctan problem before, is there a way to switch it around to look like i want it too, maybe with sin or cos. please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is you're question whether [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\arctan{x}[/tex] exists? My first instinct is to try for a series representation, but I'm not sure.

Edit:
Come to think of it, by definition, the range of [tex]\arctan{x}[/tex] is [tex](-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex] while its domain is [tex](-\infty, \infty)[/tex], so, not only does [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\arctan{x}[/tex] exist, it equals [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

Last edited:
Okay, so I know the limit is pi/2, so is there a series test i can use to prove this?

I don't know (>_<), but it's kind of not something that needs to be proven since it's part of the definition.

So if i show the definition as work, would you believe that to be enough? thanks for all the help.

also, could i show this using the squeeze theorem with bounds -pi/2 and upper bound pi/2

anyone else who can comment on what's been said here please?

rcmango said:
Okay, so I know the limit is pi/2, so is there a series test i can use to prove this?

You could.

arctan(x) = x - x^3/3 + x^5/5 - x^7/7 + x^9/9 - ... (-1 < x < 1) is the maclaurin series for it.

1. What is the definition of "converge" and "diverge" in calculus?

In calculus, "converge" refers to a sequence or series of numbers that approaches a specific value or limit as more terms are added. On the other hand, "diverge" refers to a sequence or series of numbers that does not approach a specific value or limit, but rather continues to increase or decrease without bound.

2. How do you determine if an arctan series or sequence converges or diverges?

To determine if an arctan series or sequence converges or diverges, you can use the limit comparison test or the ratio test. These tests compare the given series or sequence to a known converging or diverging series or sequence to determine the behavior of the given series or sequence.

3. Can the arctan series or sequence converge and diverge at different points?

Yes, it is possible for an arctan series or sequence to converge at one point and diverge at another point. This is because the convergence or divergence of a series or sequence depends on the behavior of the terms as they approach infinity, not on the value of the series or sequence at a specific point.

4. Are there any specific values of x where the arctan series or sequence always converges or diverges?

No, there are no specific values of x where the arctan series or sequence always converges or diverges. The convergence or divergence of the series or sequence depends on the values of x and the behavior of the terms as x approaches infinity.

5. How can understanding the convergence or divergence of arctan series or sequences be useful?

Understanding the convergence or divergence of arctan series or sequences can be useful in many applications of calculus, such as in determining the behavior of functions and in approximating values of complicated integrals. It can also help in analyzing the behavior of infinite series and sequences in other areas of mathematics and science.