Help Change the World: Share Your Ideas for Green Homes

In summary, In order to be green, people need to think about ways to conserve energy and live more efficiently. There are many ways to do this, and the most important thing is to start small. By implementing simple measures, people can make a big impact on the environment.
I believe that if people want to live more green and really stay true to that statement then they have to make a lot of changes. Changes in life style and habitat including many sacrifices. Less energy wasting and more sacrifice. Houses build underground and larger buildings that conserve space and heat would help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
personally, I am all for living in a subterrenian home. of course most of the living space would be below ground but the living room would be above ground. ooooh i have plans...
there are many downsides of living underground (along with many good things); but there is no real sunlight (without sun lights) so you have to buy those "happy lights" that provide some special spectrum that regular bulbs do get. apparently its bad for your health if you don't use them underground.
i asked myself one day: 'why don't we live underground opposed to above ground any ways...?" i came up with the problem of supporting all the weight above you which includes the extra Earth and or complexes above you. ventilation is a big concern because cave-ins are a real factor. of course there are other factors as well. perhaps someone could chip in.

there are some unrealistic fantasies such as moving the whole world underground and employing subway systems as the main transportation. all the surface Earth would be torn up and recycled; trees would be planted,,,,,,wilderness re-established and that would (help?) solve the CO2 emissions problem. kind of make all things better. but that is an extreme that comes at the cost of unifying the people of Earth and making many sacrifices (among many others). you could fill a whole bunch of threads with this stuff so i won't get too carried away.about concrete insulation; doesn't the fact that you're using a solid to insulate something kind of pointless. because perfect insulators are vacuums. air has less mass than concrete per unit of volume. heat can't be transferred in a vacuum (excluding radiant heat)
my point is; wouldn't you want to fill your areas that need insulation with material that has a low heat-transfer ratio? concrete is a solid and will heat up given enough energy.
or is the amount of sheer mass why it is a good insulator? its certainly a good way to store garbage in(recycling).

regarding PV cells, wouldn't you agree that the highest recorded efficiency rate of PV cells is 6.4 percent. that's incredibly inefficient compared to even 50%. if we're not getting the results we're looking for, don't you think we should go a different direction? (considering how long we've been on this one.) *oh boy! i increased efficiency by 0.2%!.. come on guys.

taylaron said:
Russ, its interesting to hear that it costs less to keep your house cool than it does to heat it. isn't it the amount of mass that you're effecting define how much energy you use? it also sounds like the buyer has more options than i thought they had from the sounds of it. which is a good thing of course.
No, it's all about heat transfer. Besides the sun (which is a similar effect to if it were 10 degrees warmer outside), what makes a house hot or cold is the temperature difference between inside and out. Where I live, it can be as hot as 95 or as cold as 10. If room temp is 75 in summer and 70 in winter, the delta-T is up to 70-10=60 degrees in winter and (95+10)-75=30 in summer. So that's twice as much heat transfer.

Also, at night in the summer, you don't need much AC (the temp still drops to the 70s) but in winter, you need heat 24/7, since it rarely gets above 45 in my area.

For someone who lives in Florida, AC is the bigger issue. There is also the caveat that the way heaters and air conditioners do their thing is fundamentally different (except in the case of a heat pump).
who would you look towards if you wanted to rase the requirements for housing development? to actually change the code requirements?
Congress.

great..
good luck with congress kids...

taylaron said:
regarding PV cells, wouldn't you agree that the highest recorded efficiency rate of PV cells is 6.4 percent. that's incredibly inefficient compared to even 50%. if we're not getting the results we're looking for, don't you think we should go a different direction? (considering how long we've been on this one.) *oh boy! i increased efficiency by 0.2%!.. come on guys.

Best PV technology called 'multi unction' is 40.7% efficient as of 2007, very expensive. Used in the Mars Rovers.
Page 14-15:
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy07osti/42276.pdf

~21% efficient for the best commercially available PV cells

mheslep said:
Best PV technology called 'multi unction' is 40.7% efficient as of 2007, very expensive. Used in the Mars Rovers.
Page 14-15:

"Very expensive" is an understatement. What was the cost of the solar cells used on the Mars rovers, per square meter?

Last edited:
mheslep said:
Page 14-15:

oh, i must have been talking about plastic pv cells. i frequently get news on them.
but still, we've got a price problem on the commercial end. what spectrum does the 40% efficient version absorb? i know most of the solar energy is in the infra red spectrum. compared to the amount of visible light.

40% currently possible
20% mildly affordable

dont you think its worth trying a different direction/ approach to this technology? or is it simply not that simple?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
"Very expensive" is an understatement. What was the cost of the solar cells used on the Mars rovers, per square meter?
$ millions I read, can't find the source.

subterranean homes help

I'm doing a subterranean theme for a 'green' contest and I'm trying to come up with the pros and cons of living underground; here is what i have so far:

PROS

• earth/ soil is a good insulator
  • more surface area above ground for farming
  • low noise levels- no need to drown out your daughters stereo.
  • not much of a need to heat in the winter (if you're deep enough)
  • want a bigger house? dig deeper!
  • somewhat resistant to natural disasters (for those tornado victims...)

CONS
  • Structural support
  • ventilation
  • emergency exit/ cave-in
  • excavating effectively
  • lighting

remember, many of these cons are existent in conventional above-ground style homes.

regarding the excavation problem; I have come up with the following solution(s)
1. suck the Earth out with a giant robotic vacuum and deposit soil above ground for farming. (although it uses an enormous amount of energy...probably not practical)
2. any ideas? -(I try not to think about 'if its possible, its been done' saying)

if anyone can provide some perspective or their opinion; it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Just for everyone's info.

Before suggesting and unique idea you may have, you should do a patent search and if that's successful, file a provisional patent application BEFORE posting here. Provisional patents are cheap and do NOT require lawyers to fill out. If you want more information on where to go after doing that, let me know (I don't need to know the idea). I can't help you fully, but I do believe you should keep it protected.

After you filed a provisional application (less than $200), you can share your idea and know it's protected.

JasonRox said:
Just for everyone's info.

Before suggesting and unique idea you may have, you should do a patent search and if that's successful, file a provisional patent application BEFORE posting here. Provisional patents are cheap and do NOT require lawyers to fill out. If you want more information on where to go after doing that, let me know (I don't need to know the idea). I can't help you fully, but I do believe you should keep it protected.

After you filed a provisional application (less than $200), you can share your idea and know it's protected.

Ideas are not protected; it is those who want to exploit copywrited ideas to make a profit that are illegal.
to my understanding.