Geomagnetic field demonstration

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to demonstrate the magnetic field of the Earth for a physics report. The idea of using a strong magnet inside a rubber globe and placing paperclips on different parts of the globe is suggested, but it is pointed out that this may not work and a real compass would be a better option. The need for a strong magnet and the plan to borrow one from the physics department is also mentioned.
GTdan
For physics, I had to write a report and show a demonstration on the magnetic field of the Earth. I already turned in the report and I have an idea about showing the field. I was thinking of sticking a strong magnet inside a rubber globe of the Earth and then putting paperclips on different parts of the globe. The magnetic field would cause the clips to point in a certain direction depending on where I place it. Does this sound like an ok demonstration? Is there a better way of showing the m-field of the Earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this won't work; you would at least have to use compass needles to see the effect, but I guess it's nearly impossible to pin them onto a globe. But you could use a real compass which you would then place at different places (..."place at different places"? Excuse my small vocabulary :smile:) of the globe surface. BUT: I don't know how close to the magnet you would have to go with the compass, or how strong your magnet would have to be, I advise you to just try it!

Last edited:
well, I need a REAL STRONG magnet. I haven't found any regular magnets that work so I will have to go looking around the physics dept in school to see if I can borrow one... ;)

1. What is a geomagnetic field demonstration?

A geomagnetic field demonstration is a scientific experiment that showcases the properties and behavior of the Earth's geomagnetic field, which is the magnetic field that surrounds our planet.

2. How is a geomagnetic field demonstration conducted?

A geomagnetic field demonstration can be conducted in a variety of ways, depending on the purpose of the experiment. It may involve the use of magnets, compasses, or specialized equipment to detect and measure the strength and direction of the geomagnetic field.

3. What can we learn from a geomagnetic field demonstration?

A geomagnetic field demonstration can provide insights into the structure, dynamics, and effects of the Earth's magnetic field. It can also help us understand the relationship between the geomagnetic field and other natural phenomena, such as auroras and magnetic storms.

4. Why is the geomagnetic field important?

The geomagnetic field is crucial for the survival of life on Earth, as it protects our planet from harmful solar and cosmic radiation. It also plays a significant role in navigation, communication, and other technological applications.

5. Are there any real-world applications of geomagnetic field demonstrations?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of geomagnetic field demonstrations. For example, they are used in geophysical surveys to map underground resources, in space exploration to study other planets, and in archaeology to locate buried structures and artifacts.