Exploring the Shadow & Light of Water Striders

In summary, the conversation discusses the reason for the large shadows cast by the thin legs of a water strider and the ring of bright light around the shadows. The possible explanations include surface tension and optical effects such as refraction and lensing. The use of lenses is mentioned as a key concept in understanding the phenomenon.
zachcumer
What accounts for the large shadows cast by the ends of the thin legs of the water strider? What accounts for the ring of bright light around the shadows?

Here is my picture (below) (ATTACHED)

Attachments

• 36709.jpeg
    36709.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
Bell bottoms?

Actually, I can't see your picture (not approved yet), but I'd guess that some water climbs up the strider's legs, due to surface tension in the water, so there's a "jacket" of water on them. Or, maybe it's an optical effect due to the deformation of the water where the strider's legs contact the surface. It could act like a lens, which would explain the deflection of light so that you get dark spots (from where light was redirected) and brights spots (to where the light was redirected). I'm just guessing, though, since I haven't seen the picture ... of course, I could still be guessing even then!

I believe the last thing you mentioned. "LENS"...is what my teacher is looking for. I just brushed up my reading and in the book, they talk a ton about lenses.

Thanks Belliott

Yup - if you're searching for key words, try "refraction"!

Again...very helpful..thanks man.

What are water striders and why are they important to study?

Water striders are small insects that can be found on the surface of water. They are important to study because they play a crucial role in the ecosystem. They are predators that feed on other insects, helping to control their populations, and they also serve as a food source for larger animals.

How do water striders walk on water?

Water striders have specialized legs that allow them to walk on the surface of water. These legs are covered in tiny hairs that trap air bubbles, creating a cushion that supports the insect's weight. This, combined with their light body weight and hydrophobic (water-repelling) body, allows them to stay afloat and move quickly on the surface of water.

What is the significance of studying the shadow and light patterns of water striders?

The shadow and light patterns of water striders can provide valuable insight into their behavior and survival mechanisms. By studying these patterns, scientists can better understand how water striders navigate and communicate with each other, as well as how they use light and shadows to hide from predators or find prey.

What methods are used to study the shadow and light patterns of water striders?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study the shadow and light patterns of water striders. These include video recording and time-lapse photography to capture their movements, shadowgraphy to visualize the surface tension of the water, and spectrophotometry to measure the light reflectance and absorption properties of the insects' bodies.

What are some potential applications of studying water striders?

Studying water striders can have various practical applications, such as developing new waterproof materials inspired by their hydrophobic body, creating biomimetic robots that can walk on water, and gaining a better understanding of the effects of pollution and climate change on aquatic ecosystems. Additionally, understanding the communication and behavior of water striders can help with pest control and conservation efforts.