Solving the Curvature Problem for Curve C

• Thread starter multivariable
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the curvature of a curve given by the polar equation r=f(theta), using the formula K(theta)=|f'(theta) X f''(theta)|/|f'(theta)|^3. The participants also discuss representing the curve as r(theta) = r<cos theta, sin theta> and the confusion around substituting values into the formula. They ultimately determine that the actual curvature is 1/ (r^2 + 1)^(1/2) and the key to finding it is computing f'(theta) and f''(theta).
multivariable

Homework Statement

A Curve C is given by the polar equation r=f(theta). Show that the curvature K at the point (r, theta) is
K=|2(r')^2 - rr'' + r^2|
--------------------
[(r')^2 + r^2]^(3/2)

*Represent the curve by r(theta) = r<cos theta, sin theta>

Homework Equations

I have so far taken the first and second derivatives of x= r cos Theta and y=r sin theta
and I know that the formula below is probably involved but i don't know how
K(t) = ||r'(t) X r''(t)||
---------------
||r'(t)||^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Write your second formula K(theta)=|f'(theta) X f''(theta)|/|f'(theta)|^3 where f(theta)=r(theta)*[cos(theta),sin(theta)]. Now put your derivatives of f(theta) in. Your presentation above has too many r's in it. Is that what's confusing?

yea, i dnt know exactly what I'm doing when I am plugging things in.. like f(theta) is a vector?.. f(theta) = r cos theta + r sin theta... or... I just don't understand :( but i get the math, just not what I am subsituting..

f(theta) IS a vector [r(theta)*cos(theta),r(theta)*sin(theta)]. Those are the x and y components. Consider theta a parameter of the curve, like t.

i got that the actual K should be 1/ (r^2 + 1)^(1/2) which i can't seem to relate to the K given.. when i subsitute it, it's too messy

multivariable said:
i got that the actual K should be 1/ (r^2 + 1)^(1/2) which i can't seem to relate to the K given.. when i subsitute it, it's too messy

How did you get that? I thought you were going to (or had) computed f'(theta) and f''(theta). That's the right way to go. Start with that.

1. What is the "Curvature Problem" for Curve C?

The Curvature Problem for Curve C is a mathematical problem that seeks to determine the curvature at any given point on a curve. Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from a straight line at a particular point. It is an important concept in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. Why is solving the Curvature Problem for Curve C important?

Solving the Curvature Problem for Curve C allows us to better understand the behavior of curves and make accurate predictions about their shapes and properties. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and navigation.

3. What are the main challenges in solving the Curvature Problem for Curve C?

The main challenges in solving the Curvature Problem for Curve C include finding a general formula for calculating curvature at any point on a curve, dealing with discontinuities or singularities in the curve, and ensuring accuracy and efficiency in the calculations.

4. How do scientists and mathematicians approach the Curvature Problem for Curve C?

Scientists and mathematicians approach the Curvature Problem for Curve C by using mathematical techniques such as calculus, differential geometry, and numerical methods. They also use computer simulations and experiments to validate their findings and improve their understanding of the problem.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of solving the Curvature Problem for Curve C?

The potential real-world applications of solving the Curvature Problem for Curve C are vast and varied. It can be used to design and analyze structures such as bridges and roads, optimize the performance of vehicles and machines, and improve the accuracy of medical imaging techniques. It also has applications in fields such as animation, robotics, and virtual reality.