Exploring Co-op Pay: A Look at Earnings for Students in Work Terms

• Thread starter th3plan
  • Start date
In summary, the average pay for a co-op at a university is around $10,000. It will depend on a variety of factors, such as location, year of study, program of study, and employer.
th3plan
Hey I am going to do co-op next year and wondering how much it pays roughly. What have people who done it got? What year you did co-op?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question is very hard to answer seeing as pay depends on: Location, employer, year of study, program of study, etc...

That's like asking: "How much will I make at my future job?" without giving us any further details! :confused:

It will most likely depend on where you live. Here in the midwest, the average pay for my university's program is a little north a $15/hour. That ends up bringing in around $10,000 for the semester.

If you live on one of the coasts or a big city, you will get more in correlation to the living costs.

I just accepted a co-op at Redstone Arsenal and the pay is $12/hour. However, they are paying for tuition every semester until I graduate. If I were to break down that amount and spread it over sixteen 40 hour work weeks, it winds up being much more than other co-ops at my school that make 17-18 an hour. So look at all the aspects, not just the hourly rate.

Wow you guys are lucky. Where I live, the allowance is only about $8/hour.

Are you sure they will pay you after the work ?
I know some are very 'careful' before they decide to pay their workers even when it passed the deadline for days

Don't you have to sign some kind of legally-binding agreement with them before you commence? How could they not pay you then?

porums said:
Are you sure they will pay you after the work ?
I know some are very 'careful' before they decide to pay their workers even when it passed the deadline for days

It is an alternating co-op. I start spring of '09, they pay for a study semester (Summer 09) and I work again in the fall. It works out so that the study semester after my 3rd work term will be the semester that I graduate.

My lucky friend (we have finished first year) is making 22$/hr - He had ~70 % marks (almost average).
He's just an average guy who talks more than what he know (and it would sound complete BS) :rofl:

Last edited:
rootX said:
My lucky friend (we have finished first year) is making 22$/hr - He had ~70 % marks (almost average).
He's just an average guy who talks more than what he know (and it would sound complete BS) :rofl:

jerk.. and here I am first in my class, making $13/hr and working in a town with a population of 5000, because I'm the only one the employer ranked!

I think the averages published at U Waterloo are something like $14-15/hr for first years and increasing to slightly over $20/hr as you near graduation. This would be in Canada, and most average companies will follow something along these lines.

DylanB said:
jerk.. and here I am first in my class, making $13/hr and working in a town with a population of 5000, because I'm the only one the employer ranked!

I think the averages published at U Waterloo are something like $14-15/hr for first years and increasing to slightly over $20/hr as you near graduation. This would be in Canada, and most average companies will follow something along these lines.

I am working at 14 from home :biggrin:

porums said:
Sigh, I don't understand, but I will consider it again at another time

hehe. Ok, here's a breakdown

Fall '08 -> Full load of classes
Spring '09 -> 1st work term
Summer '09 -> School semester
Fall '09 -> 2nd Work Term
Spring '10 -> School semester
Summer '10 -> 3rd and final work term
Fall '10 -> Last school semester and graduation.

1. How much do co-ops typically pay?

The pay for co-op positions can vary greatly depending on the industry, location, and specific company. On average, co-op pay ranges from $15-$25 per hour.

2. Are co-op salaries equivalent to full-time salaries?

No, co-op salaries are typically lower than full-time salaries as co-op positions are temporary and often do not require the same level of experience or responsibility as full-time roles.

3. Do co-op salaries increase over time?

In most cases, yes. Many companies have set salary increases for co-op students based on their performance and length of time in the position.

4. Are co-op salaries negotiable?

It is not common for co-op salaries to be negotiable, as they are often determined by the company's budget and pay scale for entry-level positions. However, it never hurts to ask and negotiate if you have relevant experience or skills.

5. Are there other benefits besides salary for co-op positions?

Yes, co-op positions may also offer benefits such as housing or transportation allowances, professional development opportunities, and potential for full-time employment after graduation.