Proof: Curvature Zero -> Motion along a line

In summary, the curvature of a space curve does not affect the motion of a particle. To solve for the motion of the particle, you must use the parametrization of the space curve and differentiate to get the equation of a line.
Thomas_

Homework Statement

Proof that, if a particle moves along a space curve with curvature 0, then its motion is a along a line.

Homework Equations

[tex]K=\frac{||r'(t)\times r''(t)||}{(||r'(t)||)^3}[/tex]
(curvature of a space curve)

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume the curve is smooth, so r'(t) cannot be the zero vector. The numerator must be 0. I evaluate the cross product (set it to 0), and get the following equations.

[tex]g'(t)h''(t) = h'(t)g''(t)[/tex]
[tex]f'(t)h''(t) = h'(t)f''(t)[/tex]
[tex]f'(t)g''(t) = g'(t)f''(t)[/tex]

Here I don't know what to do to get to the equation of a line.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to see this to take the curve parametrization so that |r'(t)|=1. If you differentiate r'(t).r'(t) you see that r'(t).r''(t)=0 (so r' and r'' are perpendicular). Curvature=0 tells you also that r'(t)xr''(t)=0 (so r' and r'' are parallel). What does that tell you about r''(t)?

Thank you very much for your answer.

That would mean that r''(t) is the 0-vector. Which means that there is no acceleration, no change of direction, motion should be straight.

However, my professor told me that this is not formal enough. I tried to arrive at a similar conclusion by using ||a x b|| = ||a|| ||b|| sin(theta).

Is there no way to formally arrive "back" at the parameterized equation of a line by using the result I already have?

If r''(t) is zero then r'(t) is a constant. So r'(t)=r'(0) for all t. Integrating r'(t) to get r(t) then gives you r(t)=r(0)+r'(0)*t, right? That isn't formal enough? It looks messy to try to argue starting with what you have to the conclusion r(t) is a line.

1. What is the significance of proving that curvature is zero in relation to motion along a line?

The significance of proving that curvature is zero is that it indicates that the object or particle is moving along a straight line without any change in direction. This is a fundamental concept in physics and mathematics, as it allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects with greater accuracy.

2. How is curvature zero related to the concept of inertia?

Curvature zero is directly related to the concept of inertia, as it implies that there are no external forces acting on the object or particle. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, and when curvature is zero, it means that the object is not experiencing any changes in its direction or velocity.

3. Can you provide an example of a real-life situation where curvature is zero?

One example of a real-life situation where curvature is zero is when a car is driving on a straight, flat road with no turns or curves. In this scenario, the car's motion can be accurately described as moving along a line, with no changes in direction or curvature.

4. How is the concept of curvature zero used in the study of geometry?

In the study of geometry, curvature zero is used to define and understand the properties of a straight line. A straight line is defined as having constant curvature of zero, and this concept is used to develop the principles of Euclidean geometry.

5. Can curvature ever be negative or is it always positive?

Curvature can be both positive and negative, depending on the direction of the curvature. A positive curvature indicates a curve that is convex, while a negative curvature indicates a curve that is concave. However, when curvature is zero, it means that there is no curvature at all, and the object or particle is moving along a straight line.