Which voltage option for single phase supply?

In summary, the person is considering purchasing a high speed spindle from a company in Italy and is unsure which voltage option to choose. They operate their CNC router using a single phase power supply in the UK. They are seeking confirmation on whether they should go for the 220V or 380V option. It is suggested that the 220V option would be more suitable for their system.
Icestation2
I am buying a high speed spindle from a company in Italy. They have two different voltage options available for the spindle which are either 220 or 380. I operate my CNC router using a single phase power supply. Can anyone confirm which voltage option I should go for.

My business is located in the UK.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Icestation2 said:
I am buying a high speed spindle from a company in Italy. They have two different voltage options available for the spindle which are either 220 or 380. I operate my CNC router using a single phase power supply. Can anyone confirm which voltage option I should go for.

My business is located in the UK.

:smile: Hi, in my opinion you should go for 220V supply. It is single phase voltage between phase wire and neutral wire in the UK, if I'm not mistaken!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well your system in the UK is probably a 220/380Y, 3ph, 4w, system correct? Your single phase power supply has both Voltage connection options? If so, then using the higher Voltage would allow you to use smaller conductors and equipment, except that the 380V option would require a 2 pole circuit breaker, the 220V a single pole breaker. If the equipment you have in place will work with both voltages, it is just a matter of selecting the most economical installation option.

1. What is the difference between 120V and 240V for single phase supply?

The main difference between the two voltage options is the amount of power they can provide. 120V is the standard voltage used in most household outlets and can power smaller appliances and devices. 240V is a higher voltage and is typically used for larger appliances like air conditioners and electric stoves.

2. Which voltage option is safer for single phase supply?

Both 120V and 240V can be safe when used properly. However, 120V is generally considered to be safer because it is a lower voltage and poses less of a risk for electric shock. This is why it is the standard voltage for household outlets.

3. Can I convert a 120V outlet to a 240V outlet for single phase supply?

It is not recommended to convert a 120V outlet to a 240V outlet without proper knowledge and equipment. The wiring and circuitry for 240V is different from 120V and requires a dedicated circuit. It is best to consult a licensed electrician for any changes to your electrical supply.

4. Which voltage option is more energy efficient for single phase supply?

240V is generally more energy efficient than 120V because it can provide more power with less current. This means that appliances using 240V will draw less current, resulting in lower energy costs.

5. Can I use a 240V appliance with a 120V outlet for single phase supply?

No, you cannot use a 240V appliance with a 120V outlet. The appliance is designed to run on a specific voltage and using the wrong voltage can damage the appliance and pose a safety hazard. It is important to always use the correct voltage for your appliances and outlets.