Recommend a textbook of cosmology

In summary, the conversation discusses various recommendations for a textbook on cosmology. Some options mentioned include Weinberg's "Cosmology," Kolb & Turner's "The Early Universe," Narlikar's "An Introduction to Cosmology," Dodelson's "Modern Cosmology," Mukhanov's "Physical Foundations of Cosmology," Ryden's "Introduction to Cosmology," Coles and Lucchin's "Cosmology," and Peebles' "Principles of Physical Cosmology." The speaker also suggests checking out Leonard Susskind's online lectures on cosmology. Finally, the conversation concludes with a recommendation for A. Liddle's "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology," which is praised
eVulcanon
I am a graduate student. I want to study the cosmology, now. Can someone recommend a textbook of cosmology?

Physics news on Phys.org
For better or for worse, Cosmology isn't like E&M where there are just two dominant books (Griffiths, Jackson).

Some options are:

Weinberg - Cosmology
Quite difficult on the maths side, but amazing insight that only Weinberg can bring.

Kolb & Turner - The Early Universe
Authoritative book on the early universe. Rather specialized and high level, so if you want an overview of cosmology it's not great, but if you just want to know something about the early universe, they'll tell you about it.

Narlikar - An Introduction to Cosmology
Pretty well-written and easy to read, but I think he spends to much time on alternative cosmologies.

Dodelson - Modern Cosmology
Lots of people seem to like this one, although I haven't looked at it much myself.

Mukhanov - Physical Foundations of Cosmology
I found this one a little too hard, based on the level of math. Lots of other people seem to like it.

Ryden - Introduction to Cosmology
Very fun and easy to read, with no hard math... I like this one as a first exposure to cosmology.

Coles and Lucchin - Cosmology
I really like this one, although not many others seem to. Well written, good level of difficulty, good mix of theory and observation, structure formation is presented in a very accessible manner.

Peebles - Principles of Physical Cosmology
A length overview of cosmology by one of the legends in the field. I don't care much for his writing style though.

My recommendation: Try out Coles and Lucchin, and take a look at Dodelson, or if you think you can handle the math, go for Weinberg.

Also Leonard Susskind has a series of online lectures on Cosmology from Stanford (Itunes Store -> The Theoretical Minimum), although I find that he goes painfully slow. There's still some insight to be had though.

Last edited:
A very good text is: A. Liddle, An Introduction to Modern Cosmology.

The math is easy to follow with many sample calculations. It has a pretty complete treatment of hot big bang cosmology - very clear solutions to the Friedmann equation, then age of universe, cosmological constant, the early universe, and inflation.

thx a lot, you guys.

1. What is the best textbook for learning about cosmology?

The best textbook for learning about cosmology is subjective and depends on the individual's learning style. However, some popular options among scientists include "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Andrew Liddle, "Cosmology: The Origin and Evolution of Cosmic Structure" by Peter Coles and Francesco Lucchin, and "Theoretical Astrophysics: An Introduction" by T. Padmanabhan.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically for beginners in cosmology?

Yes, there are several textbooks that are designed for beginners in cosmology. Some recommended options include "Cosmology: A Very Short Introduction" by Peter Coles, "Cosmology for the Curious" by Delia Perlov and Alex Vilenkin, and "The Cosmic Perspective Fundamentals" by Bennett, Donahue, Schneider, and Voit.

3. Which textbook covers the most recent developments in cosmology?

"An Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Andrew Liddle is known for its coverage of recent developments in cosmology, including topics such as dark energy, cosmic inflation, and the cosmic microwave background.

4. Are there any textbooks that focus on a specific aspect of cosmology?

Yes, there are textbooks that focus on specific aspects of cosmology, such as "The Early Universe" by Edward Kolb and Michael Turner, which delves into the origins and evolution of the universe, or "Galaxy Formation and Evolution" by Houjun Mo, Frank van den Bosch, and Simon White, which focuses on the formation and dynamics of galaxies.

5. Can you recommend a textbook for self-study in cosmology?

For self-study, "Cosmology: The Origin and Evolution of Cosmic Structure" by Peter Coles and Francesco Lucchin is a highly recommended textbook. It is written in a clear and accessible manner, with practice problems and solutions provided for self-assessment.