Spinning and rotation of planets

In summary, when considering two planets, planet X and planet Y with masses Mx and My separated by distance D, their periods of orbit will be the same if they are always collinear with the center of mass. However, even if Mx is much larger than My, the center of mass will not necessarily be at the center of planet X, and the spin of planet X will not necessarily be affected. In systems with multiple stars and planets, the center of mass will change, but the total center of mass will remain unchanged or move with constant velocity. The ratio of masses between planets does not necessarily have to be infinite for this to occur.
wilsonlye
consider two planets, planet X and planet Y with masses, Mx and My separated with distance, D and they orbits about the centre of mass of the system which remains stationary.

we know that period of orbit for X and Y are the same because they are always collinear with the centre of mass

suppose Mx much more bigger than My, then the centre of mass of the system is almost at the centre of planet X, thus planet X will spin in its own axis.

then how to explain in system consists of multiple stars and planets. It seems to be too complicated, and the ratio of masses between planets is not infinite.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
wilsonlye said:
suppose Mx much more bigger than My, then the centre of mass of the system is almost at the centre of planet X, thus planet X will spin in its own axis.

This is an incorrect assumption.
In general, the spin is independent of orbital center of mass, usually referred to as the barycenter.
For a planet of uniform density , the position of barycenter doesn't affect spin.

I don't really see a question here. What do you want explained? Don't make the mistake of equating "effectively zero" with "exactly zero" in those ratios.

When you change "the system" by adding more bodies you change where the center of mass will be. Yes the motions will be complex. But still the total center of mass remains unchanged (or moves with constant velocity depending on your frame of reference).

1. What causes the spinning and rotation of planets?

The spinning and rotation of planets is caused by the initial angular momentum of the material that formed the planet. As the planet formed, this material began to spin faster and faster due to the conservation of angular momentum.

2. Why do some planets spin faster than others?

The speed of a planet's rotation is determined by its initial angular momentum, which is influenced by factors such as the mass and composition of the planet, and any collisions or interactions with other objects during its formation.

3. What is the significance of a planet's rotation direction?

The direction of a planet's rotation can affect its weather patterns and climate, as well as the orientation of its magnetic field. However, the direction of rotation is ultimately determined by the initial angular momentum of the planet and any subsequent interactions with other objects.

4. How does the rotation of a planet affect its shape?

The rotation of a planet can cause it to bulge at the equator and flatten at the poles due to centrifugal force. This results in an oblate spheroid shape, where the diameter at the equator is larger than the diameter at the poles.

5. Can the rotation of a planet change over time?

The rotation of a planet can change over time due to various factors such as interactions with other objects, internal geological processes, and the redistribution of mass within the planet. This can result in changes in the length of a planet's day or its rotational axis.