Exploring Vietnam with an Aussie - A Story of Unrequited Love

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, an Australian girl met and fell in love with an American guy while he was traveling in Vietnam. They spent the last week together and she had to leave for home. He is now lonely in Saigon.
I'm currently traveling in Vietnam and I met an australian girl. We ended up going to a few cities together. We spent the last week together and I developed the biggest crush on her! But alas I had to bid her farewell today as she returned home. I think if she invited me to visit I would immediately lol. Now I'm lonely in Saigon :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Lonely in Saigon. Is that similar to Sleepless in Seattle? :wink: I'm currently not anywhere different to me so not even remotely fascinating or interesting or even on an adventure. I think I need to envy you.

Anyway, glad you're having a lovely time!

Why don't you invite her to visit you in the States?

lisab said:

Yeah, stay in touch with her and invite her to the States sometime.

Greg, please tell us that you two traded contact information.

Greg, let her go. Its too difficult. It's not meant to be. Plus, she has a boyfriend back home she never told you about. Let the good times roll man, let them roll.

GeorginaS said:
Anyway, glad you're having a lovely time!

He is not having a good time, he WAS having a good time till she left.

Wait, admins have time for a personal life? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I hope that you did exchange info and get together again.

I though Greg already had a gf!:redface:

Evo said:
Greg, please tell us that you two traded contact information.

Ditto!:approve:

Thrill, adrenaline, chase, adventure. That's what matters.

lisab said:

Ditto. Hopefully you exchanged info.

My story: :!)
When I "re-met" my now spouse (at the time, I was visiting the area, where I used to live... and before, he was more of an acquaintance/friend-of-a-friend), he took me to lunch (since I had a break between other activities), then I went on to my own activities again... which included leaving the state the next day for a 20-hr car trip back to my then-abode. When I returned to MY home (from that long drive, during which I thought a lot about him), an email was waiting and I read all between the lines (we parted at lunch with an awkward hug... too long for him, but too short for me -- my friends hug a lot). He came to visit me within a month... and I confess I would have emailed him had he not done so first.

Maybe despite my general pragmatism, I'm a romantic. Maybe not.
Note: we were both at a transitional point -- he was looking for new jobs, and I was finishing my Ph.D. We just decided to give it a go and transition together. That helped.

Note too: I'm only attending to this thread because it's yours Greg (and the title is from the Beatles!)! Normally I'd leave the "romantic" subforum alone! :wink:

Dear Ronery in Saigon.

Australian women will drink you under the table, shoot and field dress dinner, and rough you up like a rugby player in the sack. Depending on your own personal inclinations you should either a) steer clear and be glad you did not get hurt already or b) buy a plane ticket to Australia in the morning.

This post brought to you by the Smiles for Lonely People Foundation

You better have at least got her digits Greg!

An Australian girl, you are just lucky you did not end up like the guy in the movie "Welcome to Woop Woop".
Great movie if you haven’t seen it.

(edit) Actually it’s a great movie even if you have seen it.

Last edited:
Trust me. The last thing you want is an Australian girl. Trust me.

Haha I was going a little nutty there for a second! But I did send her a fb message. We shall see!

Greg Bernhardt said:
We shall see!

Indeed we will! Best of luck, Greg; this seems really romantic.

Mr. Bernhardt, Australian chicks are the bomb. You have to go to Oz and meet her. Do you know how to surf? If she lives on the coast she most likely can. Is she from the NT? No good comes from the NT.

I wish you luck brave soldier in your conquest!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Haha I was going a little nutty there for a second! But I did send her a fb message. We shall see!

ooh la la! :!)

This thread reminds me:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, hahaha meeting girls you'll never see again. I think if I have a PhD on something, it's exactly that.

Greg, here's my advice: Enjoy every minute of it, trade information, and keep contact! (so you can visit her or vice versa). However, don't invest too much emotionally, you'll get burned. VERY LITTLE of those casual hook-ups become serious relationships that usually don't really last long (long distance is too difficult). Good luck.

Cyclovenom said:
Oh man, hahaha meeting girls you'll never see again. I think if I have a PhD on something, it's exactly that.

Greg, here's my advice: Enjoy every minute of it, trade information, and keep contact! (so you can visit her or vice versa). However, don't invest too much emotionally, you'll get burned. VERY LITTLE of those casual hook-ups become serious relationships that usually don't really last long (long distance is too difficult). Good luck.

haha thanks! great advice and I am following it :)

Curious. Any romance?

Sometimes there is a brief, intense flame in a casual relationship. Attempts to rekindle that magic in other times and other situations can be frustrating and painful for both.

I hitch-hiked from central Maine to New Jersey to try to re-catch that spark with a lovely young lady. Her parents were put out, her older sisters were not supportive, and we were given so little privacy over the weekend that any bit of spontaneity and closeness was impossible to recreate. Not a fun lesson, but one that some hearts have to learn.

turbo-1 said:
Sometimes there is a brief, intense flame in a casual relationship. Attempts to rekindle that magic in other times and other situations can be frustrating and painful for both.

I hitch-hiked from central Maine to New Jersey to try to re-catch that spark with a lovely young lady. Her parents were put out, her older sisters were not supportive, and we were given so little privacy over the weekend that any bit of spontaneity and closeness was impossible to recreate. Not a fun lesson, but one that some hearts have to learn.

Good point.

Hence, why I'm curious to know if there was any romance. If not, opportunity is most likely lost. (Yes, very small chance it's still there.)

turbo-1 said:
Why didn't you invited her for a trip to NY or whatever other place , than be forced to support her family companionship which is evocative of a scene from Jane Austen's novels ?

When all odds are against, well, just play everything on a single card :P

DanP said:
Why didn't you invited her for a trip to NY or whatever other place , than be forced to support her family companionship which is evocative of a scene from Jane Austen's novels ?

Knowing Turbo it was over 30 years ago, in Maine these WERE Jane Austin's times.

Cyclovenom said:
Oh man, hah aha meeting girls you'll never see again. I think if I have a PhD on something, it's exactly that.

Same here. :rolleyes:

Greg, I hope you get an even bigger crush on some girl in Saigon, that would solve your problem. :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:

That reminds me of the time when I was headed out of town on a road trip, and I stopped my girlfriend's house - just after midnight. She had told me to stop by, and to tap on her (2nd story) window.

Well at ~12:30 am (00:30), I was standing beneath her bedroom window and quietly called to her. She didn't respond. I tossed a couple of small pebbes at her window. And then a window opened - and her dad's voice ask, "_____ is the you?"

I apologized for disturbing him and explained that I was on my way out of town and I had stopped by as requested. I said goodnight and left.

When I got back a week later, my girlfriend explained that she had fallen asleep. :frown:

Astronuc said:
When I got back a week later, my girlfriend explained that she had fallen asleep. :frown:

So you dumped her? And now you're with someone else!

Norman.Galois said:
So you dumped her? And now you're with someone else!
No - we just went separate ways. We were both undergraduates, and I didn't have a secure future at that point. That was more than 30 years ago.

We ran into each other about 5 years later, after we both got married. I mentioned how great is was being married. Unfortunately, she responded that she was glad that it was working for somebody. At the time, she was nursing her few months old son, and her marriage was apparently already in trouble. I think she sacrificed a promising career.

Actually, I never dumped any girl. They usually lost interest.

Most of the time however, I simply avoided exclusive (bf/gf) relationships in favor of just being friends.

Borek said:
Knowing Turbo it was over 30 years ago, in Maine these WERE Jane Austin's times.
Actually, it was almost exactly 40 years ago. I had barely enough money to stay fed on the trip - certainly not enough to pay bus-fare, thus the hitch-hiking.

1. What is the book "Exploring Vietnam with an Aussie" about?

The book is a story of unrequited love between an Australian scientist and a Vietnamese woman. It follows their journey as they explore Vietnam together and their struggles with cultural differences and their feelings for each other.

2. Is the book based on a true story?

Yes, the book is based on the author's personal experience and is a fictionalized account of their real-life love story.

3. What makes this book unique compared to other love stories?

This book offers a unique perspective on love and relationships, as it explores the challenges of cross-cultural relationships and the impact of societal norms and expectations on individuals.

4. What themes are explored in the book?

The book delves into themes of love, culture, identity, and the complexities of human relationships. It also touches on topics such as immigration, family dynamics, and societal expectations.

5. Who would enjoy reading this book?

This book would appeal to readers who enjoy stories about love, travel, and self-discovery. It may also be of interest to those who are fascinated by cross-cultural relationships and the challenges that come with them.