Energy <-> Mass conversion and visible light

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and mass conversion and how they are related through the equation E=MC2. The question posed is about the theoretical scenario of converting a large amount of energy into a mass of 6×1024 KG and how long visible light would be generated during this process. However, the question is based on a misunderstanding of energy and power and the process of fusion and fission. Instead of converting energy into mass, these processes involve creating a reaction between atoms that releases binding energy in the form of particles or light.
nevenante
Energy <---> Mass conversion and visible light

We are all familiar with the following concept:
E = MC2

and

M = E / C2

My question goes as follows, theoretically speaking, if at my disposal is adequate amount of energy to convert that energy into a mass of 6×1024 KG, what is the length in time that visible(to the human eye) light will be generating?

Science news on Phys.org

nevenante said:
My question goes as follows, theoretically speaking, if at my disposal is adequate amount of energy to convert that energy into a mass of 6×1024 KG, what is the length in time that visible(to the human eye) light will be generating?

This doesn't make any sense, even in grammatical structure, so I have no clue what you're talking about. I have 6e24*c^2 Joules of energy, okay, what do you want to know about it?

Hi Nabeshin,
yes, I am grammatically challenged, but very curious and interested in nuclear physics, but my knowledge of it, in comparison to the maturity of a human, is like a baby crawling around in diapers :-) and I also very much appreciate your time in the attempt to answer the question.
Lets see if I can restate the question:
What would be the length of time that visible(to the human eye) light would be emitting from the process of converting appropriate amount of Joules energy into a body of mass of 6.0×(10 to the 24th power) KG ?
In other words, since... Mass[6.0e+24 kg] = Energy[5.373e+41 Joules] / (300,000 [Km per sec] ^2), is there a way to calculate the duration of photon emissions in the visible spectrum frequencies while converting energy into a mass of 6.0e+24 Kg.
I hope this makes a little more sense. I am sure that there are other dependencies in this process that I am, as of now, ignorant of :-).

nevenante said:
In other words, since... Mass[6.0e+24 kg] = Energy[5.373e+41 Joules] / (300,000 [Km per sec] ^2), is there a way to calculate the duration of photon emissions in the visible spectrum frequencies while converting energy into a mass of 6.0e+24 Kg.

You seem to be confusing power and energy. The time would depend on which process you used to convert the mass to energy.
Your question is equivalent to asking: I have a battery with a capacity of 1000J, how long will it last?
The answer will depend on how you are using the battery.

nevenante said:

If we are going from energy -> matter, then it seems to me we are essentially going from photons -> matter. So why would photons be emitted during the process?

lets see if I can fine tune my visualization...
Going from Mass to Energy E=MC^2, fission, light is noticed by the observer, thinking of an atomic bomb explosion. Then, reversing the process, M=E/C^2 going from Energy to Mass, fusion, light is also noticed by the observer. Thinking about the process going on in the Sun. what is going on in the Sun is dependent on preexisting mass, the hydrogen atom. Is it possible to theoretically apply a source of energy independent of preexisting mass?

nevenante said:
Then, reversing the process, M=E/C^2 going from Energy to Mass, fusion, light is also noticed by the observer.

That's not what happens. Fusion is not conversion of energy into mass. Fusion and fission both operate on the principle that you take some atoms, perform some reaction, and the resultant atoms have less mass than the starting atoms, the difference in mass expressed as the binding energy of the atoms. This binding energy is released as energy (in particles, or in gamma radiation [light]).

Thanks for the clarification on Fusion vs. Fission. Let me see if I understood you correctly... the Energy in E of the M=E/C^2 equation is dependent on preexisting Mass?

1. What is the relationship between energy and mass?

The relationship between energy and mass is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc². This equation states that energy (E) is equal to the mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c²). In other words, energy and mass are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into one another.

2. How is energy converted into visible light?

Energy can be converted into visible light through a process called photon emission. This occurs when an atom or molecule gains energy and its electrons move to a higher energy level. When the electrons return to their original energy level, they release energy in the form of photons, which are particles of visible light.

3. What is the role of mass in the conversion of energy to visible light?

Mass plays a crucial role in the conversion of energy to visible light. As stated by Einstein's equation, the amount of energy produced is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that the more mass an object has, the more energy will be released during the conversion process.

4. Can visible light be converted back into energy?

Yes, visible light can be converted back into energy through a process called photon absorption. This occurs when photons of light are absorbed by atoms or molecules, causing their electrons to move to a higher energy level. This results in the conversion of visible light energy into other forms of energy, such as thermal or electrical energy.

5. How is the conversion of energy to visible light used in everyday life?

The conversion of energy to visible light has numerous practical applications in our daily lives. For example, this process is used in light bulbs to produce artificial light, in solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity, and in chemical reactions that produce bioluminescence in certain organisms. It also plays a crucial role in technology such as lasers, LEDs, and computer screens.