Which Weller Soldering Station to Buy? WESD51, WD1001, or WD1002

In summary, the conversation discusses the different Weller soldering stations available at Fry's for the same price. The person recommending the WESD51 station because it is simple and has auto shutoff. They also suggest checking for compatible tips and mention that the programmable tip offsets may be useful for precision work. The person also mentions the option of getting an entry-level Metcal RF heated iron. They ultimately recommend the first Weller station due to its higher wattage, but also mention the last one as a good option. The conversation also briefly mentions a cheaper Tenma soldering station purchased off eBay, which the person has had success using for various soldering tasks.
JerryG
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd buy the one in stock! I like it because it is simple and has auto shutoff.

Check that you can easily get the tips you may need for the iron you get. You may want different size tips or shapes depending on what type of components you are soldering.

If you're doing really precise things the units with programmable tip offsets may be nice but for most prototyping I don't bother with that.

If you are soldering large components or with high temperature solder the 80 W version may help.

Get an entry-level Metcal RF heated iron if you can. They've come down in price over the past few years. They can't be beat for transitioning between regular soldering and soldering fine SMT devices.

I'd probably go with the first one since its got the highest wattage. The last one is good to tho. What kind of soldering are you going to be doing?

About five years ago I bought a Tenma for about $15 shipped off ebay.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XMA9W4/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I still use it to this day and have never even replaced the tips I got with it. I have zero problems soldering everything from power connectors to 0.4mm QFP chips with it. Expensive irons are nice if you use them every day, but otherwise its hard to warrant the hefty price tag.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the difference between WESD51, WD1001, and WD1002?

The main difference between these three Weller soldering stations is their power and functionality. The WESD51 is a 50-watt soldering station with adjustable temperature control and a digital display. The WD1001 is a 40-watt soldering station with a digital display and preset temperature settings. The WD1002 is a 40-watt soldering station with a digital display, preset temperature settings, and additional features such as automatic shut-off and standby modes.

Which soldering station is the best for beginners?

For beginners, the WESD51 is the recommended choice. It has adjustable temperature control which allows for more precision and control while soldering. The digital display also makes it easier for beginners to monitor the temperature and ensure it is at the desired level.

Can I use different tips on these soldering stations?

Yes, all three soldering stations are compatible with a variety of tips. The WESD51 and WD1001 have a standard ETA series tip while the WD1002 has a unique RT series tip. However, adapters are available to use different tip styles on all three stations. It is important to use the correct tip for your specific soldering needs.

How do I choose the appropriate soldering station for my projects?

When choosing a soldering station, consider the type of work you will be doing and the size of your projects. If you are working on smaller projects that require precision, the WESD51 or WD1001 would be a good choice. If you are working on larger projects or need additional features such as automatic shut-off, the WD1002 would be a better option. It is also important to consider your budget and the power needs for your specific projects.

Are these soldering stations durable?

Yes, all three soldering stations are made by Weller, a reputable brand known for producing high-quality soldering tools. With proper care and maintenance, these stations can last for many years. It is important to follow the instructions for use and storage to ensure the longevity of your soldering station.