How to do velocity-time graph to distance graph/acceleration to velocity graph?

In summary, to convert a velocity-time graph to a distance graph, you need to integrate the velocity data and find the area under the curve. This can also be done to obtain velocity from an acceleration-time graph. Both graphs can provide information about acceleration, with a steeper slope indicating a larger acceleration. It is possible to have a negative acceleration on a velocity-time graph, indicating deceleration.
sweetiev
So I understand how to draw velocity-time graph "from" distance graph and acceleration-time graph "from" velocity-time (basically the slope)

But I don't understand how to draw distance-time from velocity-time graph and velocity-time graph from distance-time graph.Please help! how would I do that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Distance traveled in a particular time interval is the area under the velocity-time graph between those two times.
If the graph is a straight line (uniform or zero acceleration) then it's a simple matter.
Velocity is the area under the acceleration-time graph.

1. How do I convert a velocity-time graph to a distance graph?

To convert a velocity-time graph to a distance graph, you need to integrate the velocity data to find the corresponding distance values. This can be done by finding the area under the velocity-time curve using geometric or mathematical methods.

2. Can I use a velocity-time graph to determine the acceleration?

Yes, you can use a velocity-time graph to determine the acceleration. The slope of the velocity-time graph represents the acceleration, which can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

3. How can I obtain the velocity from a given acceleration-time graph?

To obtain the velocity from an acceleration-time graph, you need to integrate the acceleration data to find the corresponding velocity values. This can be done by finding the area under the acceleration-time curve using geometric or mathematical methods.

4. Is it possible to have a negative acceleration on a velocity-time graph?

Yes, it is possible to have a negative acceleration on a velocity-time graph. This indicates that the object is decelerating or slowing down. The slope of the graph will be negative in this case.

5. How do I interpret the shape of a distance graph when the velocity is changing?

The shape of a distance graph when the velocity is changing can provide information about the acceleration. A straight, diagonal line indicates a constant velocity, while a curved line indicates a changing velocity and therefore, an acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a larger acceleration.