How to draw distance-time graph from velocity-time graph?

• Thread starter sweetiev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, drawing a velocity-time graph from a distance graph involves finding the slope, while drawing an acceleration-time graph involves finding the change in slope. However, to draw a distance-time graph from a velocity-time graph, you must calculate the area under the graph and plot it as the distance, with the gradient representing the velocity. This concept is known as derivatives and integrals.
sweetiev
So I understand how to draw velocity-time graph from distance graph and acceleration-time graph from velocity-time (basically the slope)

But I don't understand how to draw distance-time from velocity-time graph and velocity-time graph from distance-time graph.

Please help! how would I do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetiev said:
So I understand how to draw velocity-time graph from distance graph and acceleration-time graph from velocity-time (basically the slope)

But I don't understand how to draw distance-time from velocity-time graph

Instead of taking the slope, you add up the area enclosed under the graph so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral

see, distance=velocity x time so once you plot the velocity-time graph... check out the area under the gradient and plot the same on another distance time graph in which the gradient is equal to the velocity...

1. How do I plot a distance-time graph from a velocity-time graph?

To plot a distance-time graph from a velocity-time graph, you will need to use the formula d = vt, where d represents the distance, v represents the velocity, and t represents the time. First, plot the time on the x-axis and the velocity on the y-axis. Then, using the formula, calculate the distance for each point and plot it on the graph. Connect the points to create the distance-time graph.

2. What is the relationship between a velocity-time graph and a distance-time graph?

The relationship between a velocity-time graph and a distance-time graph is that the slope of a velocity-time graph represents the acceleration, while the slope of a distance-time graph represents the velocity. This means that the velocity-time graph is the derivative of the distance-time graph.

3. Can a distance-time graph have negative values?

Yes, a distance-time graph can have negative values. This would indicate that the object is moving in the negative direction, or in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the graph.

4. How do I calculate the velocity from a distance-time graph?

To calculate the velocity from a distance-time graph, you will need to find the slope of the graph. This can be done by selecting two points on the graph and using the formula for slope, which is rise over run (change in distance over change in time). The resulting value will be the velocity at that point on the graph.

5. What is the difference between a distance-time graph and a displacement-time graph?

A distance-time graph shows the total distance traveled by an object over a given time, while a displacement-time graph shows the change in position of the object from its starting point over a given time. This means that a displacement-time graph can have both positive and negative values, while a distance-time graph can only have positive values.