Calculating Max Uphill Acceleration for Skier on 5° Slope

In summary, the skier's maximum possible uphill acceleration is 0.32 ms^-2, taking into account the forces of gravity and friction.
dazza555

Homework Statement

A skier is going up a slope of 5 degrees to the horizontal. She is skating so only her skis provide propoltion. The static and kenetic friction coefficients for this situation are [tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex]=0.12 and [tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{k}[/tex]=0.07

Find the magnitude of her maximum possible uphill acceleration.

Homework Equations

Net force in the y direction is: Normal force - mg cos 5 deg =0
Therefore Normal force = mg cos 5 deg

Max acceleration: F in x /m = a = -mg sin 5 deg + max static friction/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I then put all my numbers in like so:
Max acceleration= -mg*sin 5 deg + 0.12 (mg*cos 5 deg)/m
the m cancels and using 9.8 for g I got

0.32ms[tex]^{-2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical principles involved. In this case, the skier is moving up a slope, which means that gravity is acting against her motion. The skier is also using her skis to provide propulsion, which means that there is a force acting in the direction of motion.

I would then identify the relevant equations and variables, which in this case are the net force in the y direction, the normal force, and the maximum acceleration. Using the given information, I would calculate the normal force by using the equation Normal force = mg cos 5 deg. I would then use the equation for maximum acceleration, which is a = -mg sin 5 deg + max static friction/m. Plugging in the values, I would solve for the maximum acceleration to be 0.32 ms^-2.

Next, I would check my answer for reasonableness. Is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration reasonable for a skier on a 5 degree slope? Does it make sense based on the given coefficients of friction? I would also consider any potential sources of error or assumptions made in my calculations.

Finally, I would communicate my solution clearly and concisely, including any relevant diagrams or calculations. I would also discuss any limitations or potential areas for further research or investigation.

1. How is the maximum uphill acceleration for a skier on a 5° slope calculated?

The maximum uphill acceleration for a skier on a 5° slope can be calculated using the formula: a = g * sin(θ), where "a" is the maximum acceleration, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and "θ" is the angle of the slope in degrees.

2. Is the maximum uphill acceleration affected by the weight of the skier?

Yes, the maximum uphill acceleration is affected by the weight of the skier. The heavier the skier, the more force is needed to accelerate them uphill on a 5° slope.

3. How does the friction of the slope affect the maximum uphill acceleration for a skier?

The friction of the slope can decrease the maximum uphill acceleration for a skier. Friction is a force that acts against motion and can make it more difficult for the skier to accelerate uphill on a 5° slope.

4. Can the maximum uphill acceleration for a skier on a 5° slope be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

No, the maximum uphill acceleration for a skier on a 5° slope cannot be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This is because the skier is already working against the force of gravity to move uphill, and gravity is the maximum force that can act on the skier in this scenario.

5. How can the maximum uphill acceleration for a skier on a 5° slope be increased?

The maximum uphill acceleration for a skier on a 5° slope can be increased by reducing the weight of the skier, reducing the friction of the slope, or increasing the force applied by the skier (such as by using poles or pushing off with their legs).