Chemistry of a Simple homemade battery

I want to make a simple home made battery using coins and a wet paper towel soaked in salt water as the electrolyte. I need help understanding the oxidation reduction reactions involved since I don't remember enough Chemistry.
Xyius
I want to make a simple home made battery. I am just starting to do experiments at home and I have read you can make a simple battery from coins like pennies and nickles. In between the coins would be a wet paper towel soaked in salt water which acts as the electrolyte between the two coins. I know that the current is produced by oxidation reduction reactions, the problem is I do not remember enough Chemistry to go through the exact process! (Which I hope to fix soon) If someone would be able to go through the reactions of this home made simple battery that would be great! I like to completely understand something scientifically before doing it experimentally.

Thanks!
~Matt

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the chemistry behind a simple homemade battery?

A simple homemade battery works on the principle of chemical reactions converting chemical energy into electrical energy. When two different metals (such as copper and zinc) are placed in an electrolyte solution, the metals react with the solution, producing electrons. These electrons then flow through a circuit, creating an electrical current.

2. What materials do I need to make a simple homemade battery?

To make a simple homemade battery, you will need two different types of metal (such as copper and zinc), an acidic solution (such as lemon juice or vinegar), and a wire or other conductive material to connect the metals and create a circuit.

3. How does the size of the battery affect its voltage and capacity?

The size of a battery affects both its voltage and capacity. A larger battery typically has a higher voltage and can store more energy, allowing it to power devices for a longer period of time. However, the specific materials used and the design of the battery can also impact its voltage and capacity.

4. Can I use any type of metal to make a simple homemade battery?

No, not all metals will work in a simple homemade battery. The two metals used should have different properties and be reactive in the chosen electrolyte solution. Commonly used metals include copper, zinc, and aluminum, but experimentation with other metals is possible.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of a simple homemade battery?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a simple homemade battery. One way is to increase the surface area of the metals by cutting them into thin strips or using multiple pieces. Another way is to use a more concentrated or stronger electrolyte solution. Additionally, using a larger size or more of the chosen metals can also improve the battery's efficiency.