1st order linear diff eq. problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution of a nonhomogeneous differential equation. The general solution is composed of a particular solution and the solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation. The attempt at solving the equation using an initial guess is shown, but an error is identified. The correct approach using simultaneous equations is also mentioned.
Abraham

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] = 2y +sin(2t)

Homework Equations

The general solution of a nonhomogeneous ode is the particular solution of the nonhomo plus the solution of the homogeneous ode.: y(t)= y[tex]_{p}[/tex](t)+y[tex]_{h}[/tex](t)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] - 2y = sin(2t)

Initial guess, is that y[tex]_{p}[/tex] = a*Sin(2t)+b*Cos(2t), where a and b are unknown constants later to be found

Then, the d.e. becomes:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex] ( a*Sin(2t)+b*Cos(2t) ) - 2( a*Sin(2t)+b*Cos(2t) ) = Sin2t

=2aCos(2t)-2bSin(2t) - 2aSin(2t)+2bCos(2t) = Sin2t

=(2a+2b)*Cos(2t) + (-2b-2a)*Sin(2t) = Sin2t

Using the fact that polynomial coefficients must be equal:

2a+2b=0
-2b-2a=1

And here is my issue. These simultaneous equations are false, and thus I cannot possibly solve the d.e.

Can someone tell me where I messed up? Thanks

PS. I know this can also be found using integrating factors, but i need help on the section with "guessing" the solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You got a sign wrong when you went from this line

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} (a \sin 2t + b \cos 2t ) - 2(a \sin 2t + b \cos 2t ) = \sin 2t[/tex]

to your next one. You should have gotten

[tex]2a\cos 2t - 2b \sin 2t - 2a \sin 2t - 2b \cos 2t = \sin 2t[/tex]

Hey thanks. You homework helpers save my life.

1. What is a 1st order linear differential equation problem?

A 1st order linear differential equation problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding an unknown function that satisfies a first-order linear differential equation. This equation is a mathematical expression that relates the dependent variable, usually denoted as y, to its derivatives with respect to the independent variable, usually denoted as x. The problem typically involves finding the solution to the equation that satisfies certain initial conditions.

2. How do you solve a 1st order linear differential equation problem?

To solve a 1st order linear differential equation problem, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and variation of parameters. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given. The general steps for solving a 1st order linear differential equation problem include identifying the type of equation, finding the integrating factor (if necessary), solving for the unknown function using the chosen method, and checking the solution with the initial conditions.

3. What is the importance of 1st order linear differential equations in science?

1st order linear differential equations are important in science because they are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in many areas of science, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. By solving these equations, scientists can better understand and predict the behavior of various systems and processes.

4. Can 1st order linear differential equations be solved analytically?

Yes, 1st order linear differential equations can be solved analytically. This means that an exact, closed-form solution can be found using mathematical techniques. However, not all 1st order linear differential equations have analytical solutions, and in some cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.

5. What are some applications of 1st order linear differential equations?

1st order linear differential equations have many applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical systems, such as the motion of objects under the influence of forces, and to describe the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in economics to model population growth and in biology to model population dynamics. In addition, 1st order linear differential equations are used in data analysis and signal processing to smooth and filter data.