How to calculate radiation dose from neutron source.

In summary, the conversation is about finding information on how to calculate radiation dose from a neutron source for the human body. The suggested resources for this are unscear.org, IAEA, and ICRP websites. The conversation also includes questions about calculating absorbed dose for a man exposed to a neutron source and the effects of shielding. It is important to consider factors such as the energy range of the neutron source and the type of radiation emitted. Additionally, the activity of the neutron source, distance from the source, and thickness of protection are all important factors in calculating absorbed dose.
DB51
Could anybody advise me, where i can read about how to calculate radiation dose from neutron source for human body.

Excuse me for a second similar topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

www.unscear.org is probably the best place to find the latest recommendations from the UN and the IAEA.

Cheers

fatra2 said:
Hi there,

www.unscear.org is probably the best place to find the latest recommendations from the UN and the IAEA.

Cheers

Sorry, but there is information mostly about what dose a man receives from various sources.

I have not found how to calculate the dose from the neutron source.

Hi there,

What kind of dose are you hoping to calculate: the air-kerma, the absorbed dose, the equivalent dose, the effective dose, the ambient dose H*(10), the ambient dose H*(0.07)? Then, will your neutron source give a homogeneous field, which body part will be exposed to it, what is the energy range of the neutron source, are also question that you must answer before even trying to make any kind of calculation. Just saying that you want to find a formula on how to calculate the dose for a neutron source for a human body is not like backing cookies: there is not one recipe for it.

You can start by looking at the unscear website. The IAEA and the ICRP website are also very good place to find information on the latest on radiation exposure.

Cheers

fatra2 said:
Hi there,

What kind of dose are you hoping to calculate: the air-kerma, the absorbed dose, the equivalent dose, the effective dose, the ambient dose H*(10), the ambient dose H*(0.07)? Then, will your neutron source give a homogeneous field, which body part will be exposed to it, what is the energy range of the neutron source, are also question that you must answer before even trying to make any kind of calculation. Just saying that you want to find a formula on how to calculate the dose for a neutron source for a human body is not like backing cookies: there is not one recipe for it.

You can start by looking at the unscear website. The IAEA and the ICRP website are also very good place to find information on the latest on radiation exposure.

Cheers
Excuse me
There is my first thread about my question - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=456546"

We have:

Neutron source Cf-252

Activity of Neutron source Cf-252 = 200 kBq

The thickness of the protection of water-based = 30 cm

Weight of the man = 80 kg

Distance to a source = 1 m

Questions

How to calculate the absorbed dose for this men,if we know only activity of Cf-252, distance to a source, thickness of protection and weight of man.

How to calculate the absorbed dose from neutron source for human body? With shield and without.

If I correctly understand:

1) at first it is necessary to calculate how many energies lose neutrons transiting through protection. Whether all neutrons are decelerated transiting through protection.

2)Then, when will be known, what energy have neutrons after passage through protection, is possible to start to consider the absorbed dose

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

Ok, but if I look at the "handbook of Chemistry and Physics", I find that Cf-252 is not a neutron emitter. It decays through the emission of an alpha particle.

Anyway, for the time being this is not relevant, except for the energy of the neutron decay. From the activity of the source, you can calculate the flux of neutrons passing through the protection and the body. From that, you can quite simply deduce the energy deposited by the neutron source. For the absorption coefficient, I normally look at the NIST website (http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/).

Hope this helps. Cheers

are you still searching for an answer to this? if so, 252Cf emits an alpha particle 97% of the time and fissions spontaneously about 3% of the time emitting approximately 3.6 neutrons per fission. the water does moderate the energy of the neutron fluence spectrum reaching the target, but approximately 70-80% of the dose equivalent (operational quantity) originates from the uncollided neutrons. i would be glad to assist you with a little more information.

1. How do I calculate the radiation dose from a neutron source?

The radiation dose from a neutron source can be calculated by multiplying the neutron flux by the neutron fluence rate. The neutron flux measures the number of neutrons that pass through a given area in a certain amount of time, while the neutron fluence rate measures the number of neutrons that pass through a given area over a certain period of time.

2. What is the equation for calculating radiation dose from a neutron source?

The equation for calculating radiation dose from a neutron source is D = Φ x Φn x Σen x t, where D is the dose, Φ is the neutron flux, Φn is the neutron fluence rate, Σen is the average energy per neutron, and t is the exposure time.

3. How do I measure the neutron flux and neutron fluence rate?

The neutron flux and neutron fluence rate can be measured using a neutron dosimeter, which is a device that detects and measures the number of neutrons passing through it. The dosimeter can be placed at different distances from the neutron source to determine the flux and fluence rate at various distances.

4. Can the radiation dose from a neutron source be reduced?

Yes, the radiation dose from a neutron source can be reduced by increasing the distance between the source and the individual, as the dose decreases exponentially with distance. Shielding materials such as lead or concrete can also be used to reduce the dose.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when calculating radiation dose from a neutron source?

Yes, it is important to use proper protective equipment such as gloves, lab coats, and shielding materials when working with a neutron source. It is also important to follow safety protocols and regulations set by your institution or governing bodies when working with radioactive materials.