Perseid Preview: Moon to Muscle in on Aug. 12-13 Meteor Shower

In summary, the Moon will be a major obstacle for observing the Perseid meteor shower this year. The full Moon on August 12th will greatly reduce visibility during the peak of the shower, making it difficult to spot any fiery space dust. This may have already affected observations, as the bright moonlight may have hindered viewing opportunities during the early morning hours. This could be a repeat of last year's missed opportunity due to cloudy weather conditions.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"But a major obstacle, the Moon, will work against attempts to spot the fiery space dust this year. The Moon will turn full on Aug. 12, severely hampering observations just at the wrong time. Bright moonlight will flood the sky all through that entire night."

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/persied_preview_030801.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Was that last night or is it tonight?
In my country the maximum is announced at 3 in the morning. Last night I woke up around 3,30 and looked at the sky for around 5 minute. I didn't see anything but a blinding moon. I went back to sleep. Last year I missed the maximum because of clouds. Did I miss everything this year?

It is unfortunate that the full moon on August 12 will hinder our ability to fully enjoy the Perseid meteor shower. The bright moonlight will make it difficult to spot the fiery space dust as it streaks across the sky. However, this should not discourage us from attempting to observe the meteor shower. Even though the moon will be a major obstacle, there is still a chance that we may catch glimpses of the meteors during the shower's peak on August 12-13. It may be a challenge, but it is definitely worth the effort to try and catch a glimpse of this spectacular natural event. Perhaps, we can use this as an opportunity to appreciate the beauty of the moon and its impact on our night sky.

1. What is the Perseid meteor shower?

The Perseid meteor shower is an annual event that occurs when the Earth passes through the debris left behind by the comet Swift-Tuttle. This debris burns up in our atmosphere, creating streaks of light in the night sky.

2. When is the best time to view the Perseid meteor shower?

The peak of the Perseid meteor shower is typically on the night of August 12th into the early morning hours of August 13th. However, meteors can be seen a few days before and after the peak date.

3. What causes the Perseid meteor shower?

The Perseid meteor shower is caused by the Earth's orbit intersecting with the debris left behind by the comet Swift-Tuttle. As the debris enters our atmosphere, it heats up and creates the bright streaks of light that we see as meteors.

4. Where is the best place to view the Perseid meteor shower?

The best place to view the Perseid meteor shower is in a dark, open area away from city lights. This allows for maximum visibility of the meteors. It is also recommended to have a clear view of the northern horizon.

5. How many meteors can be seen during the Perseid meteor shower?

During the peak of the Perseid meteor shower, you can expect to see around 60-100 meteors per hour. However, this number can vary depending on the location and weather conditions.