What % of Earth Science professors have ties to the oil/gas industry?

In summary, it appears that there is a strong presence of environmentalists among Earth scientists, but it may have been more common in the past. However, there does not seem to be significant conflict between Earth scientists due to this, as there are partnerships between industry, academia, and government in Canada. While there may be some influence from funding sources, research is ultimately driven by the data. Additionally, there is some disagreement about the inclusion of atmospheric sciences in the field of Earth sciences.
Simfish
Gold Member
My impression is that very few of them do in my department. In fact, these days, it seems that many Earth scientists are often the most vocal environmentalists.

But were they more common in the past? Was there ever significant conflict between Earth scientists due to this?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Simfish said:
My impression is that very few of them do in my department. In fact, these days, it seems that many Earth scientists are often the most vocal environmentalists.

But were they more common in the past? Was there ever significant conflict between Earth scientists due to this?

In Canada, at least, there are significant formal and informal partnerships between industry, academia, and government.

It's not also really a problem since all parties are interesting in getting the most accurate result - better research equals better economic opportunities. My own thesis was on a gold property featuring significant support from the company that owned it and the provincial survey. At no point was the science ever influenced to come to one conclusion or another, beyond what the data told us. In the end I came to a pretty grim conclusion about the deposit, and it's up to the company now what they want to do with it.

Depends on what they research. Some one who studies baslatic moon rocks will probably have very few ties to the oil industry where as someone studying formation hydrodynamics using seismic strat will obviously have funding coming through an oil company.

By the way, I hated the fact that my school's department was called "Earth and Atmospheric Sciences". Obviously not all geoscientists study the Earth, and I can't understand why someone would think the atmosphere is not part of the Earth. Is it the moon's atmosphere?

1. What is the percentage of Earth Science professors that have ties to the oil/gas industry?

The exact percentage of Earth Science professors with ties to the oil/gas industry is not known. However, various studies have shown that a significant number of professors in this field have some form of connection to the industry, whether through research funding, consulting work, or personal relationships.

2. How do Earth Science professors benefit from ties to the oil/gas industry?

There are several ways in which Earth Science professors may benefit from ties to the oil/gas industry. These include access to funding for research projects, opportunities for collaboration and networking, and potential job prospects after graduation. However, it is important to note that these benefits can also create conflicts of interest and bias in research and teaching.

3. Are Earth Science professors required to disclose their ties to the oil/gas industry?

There is no universal requirement for Earth Science professors to disclose their ties to the oil/gas industry. However, many universities have policies in place that require faculty members to disclose any potential conflicts of interest, including financial ties to external industries. It is ultimately up to the individual professor to disclose this information.

4. Does having ties to the oil/gas industry affect the objectivity of Earth Science professors?

Having ties to the oil/gas industry can potentially affect the objectivity of Earth Science professors. As with any industry, there is a risk of bias and conflicts of interest when conducting research or teaching about a topic related to that industry. However, it is important to note that not all professors with ties to the oil/gas industry will be biased, and many are able to maintain objectivity in their work.

5. Are there any regulations in place to prevent conflicts of interest for Earth Science professors with ties to the oil/gas industry?

There are no specific regulations in place for Earth Science professors with ties to the oil/gas industry. However, universities may have policies and procedures in place to address potential conflicts of interest. Additionally, professional organizations such as the American Geosciences Institute and the American Association of Petroleum Geologists have codes of ethics that address conflicts of interest and require disclosure of potential biases in research and teaching.