Two dimensional vectors question

• Thread starter neoncrazy101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the question is asking for the thickness of a magazine that a spider lands on after jumping from a table. The spider's initial velocity is given as 0.830 m/s at an angle of 31.0° above the table, and it takes 0.0640 seconds to land on the magazine. The formula used to solve this problem is V0yT - 1/2gt^2, with V0y calculated as 0.830sin31 = 0.42748 and g as 9.8 m/s^2. The correct answer is 0.0072576 m, but if you are getting a different result, there may be an error in your calculations.
neoncrazy101
Hello, I'm having issues with a question like the following...

A spider crawling across a table leaps onto a magazine blocking its path. The initial velocity of the spider is 0.830 m/s at an angle of 31.0° above the table, and it lands on the magazine 0.0640 s after leaving the table. Ignore air resistance. How thick is the magazine?

I just can't seem to figure out how to figure it. I've tried using V0yT -1/2gt2
With V0y = .830sin31 = .42748...
T = .0640s
and G = 9.8m/s2

But when I put it together I just can't seem to get the answer right. Am I using the wrong equation or what equation should I use? Any help with be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
your work looks correct. when i use your numbers i get:

thickness = 0.0072576 m

is this the result you are getting?

Hmmm. No it wasn't for some odd reason. I kept getting a much lower number for some reason... I'm probably doing something wrong with the calculator.

1. What is a two dimensional vector?

A two dimensional vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction in a two-dimensional space. It is typically represented by two numbers, known as components, that indicate the vector's position in the x and y axes.

2. How do you add two two dimensional vectors?

To add two two dimensional vectors, you simply add the corresponding components of the vectors. For example, to add vector A = (3, 2) and vector B = (1, 5), the resulting vector would be C = (3+1, 2+5) = (4, 7).

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

4. How do you find the magnitude of a two dimensional vector?

The magnitude of a two dimensional vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. For example, the magnitude of vector A = (3, 4) would be calculated as √(3²+4²) = 5.

5. What is the importance of two dimensional vectors in science?

Two dimensional vectors are essential in science as they are used to represent physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration, which have both magnitude and direction. They are also used in many mathematical and scientific models to describe and analyze physical phenomena in a two-dimensional space.