Exploring Proton-Antiproton Annihilation: Energy and Results Explained

In summary, the scientists are still trying to figure out the process of proton-antiproton annihilation. They need more data to be certain about the results. The π0 has kinetic energy, which is what makes it up the rest energy of the particles produced.
Deepak247
I recently checked this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_antiproton_annihilation

It says that...For proton-antiproton annihilation at 2 GeV, one final state result is

p + p → π0
+ γ1 + γ2 + γ3 + γ4

with γ1 and γ3 ~125 MeV each, γ2 and γ4 ~530 MeV each

but if we add up all the MeV, then it is less than what should be the resulting energy...isnt it?

I mean all the photons will add up to make 1280 MeV, also it is happening at 2 GeV so it should definitely produce more energetic photons following the law of conservation of energy...

Are the scientists today still confused about this whole annihilation process? do they still need more study? please explain

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rest of the energy is conserved in the produced pion.

but the rest mass of pion π0 is 134.9766(6) MeV/c2, add this to 1280 and we get 1414.9 MeV...I was expecting something worth more energy out of this collison...does that should be the case?

Deepak247 said:
but the rest mass of pion π0 is 134.9766(6) MeV/c2, add this to 1280 and we get 1414.9 MeV...I was expecting something worth more energy out of this collison...does that should be the case?

Does the pion have kinetic energy?

please explain drakkith...or anyone else...you can refer to the above mentioned page at the start of this thread...

I still believe that this phenomenon of annihilation needs more discoveries and data to be explained well...

Does everyone agree with me or am i not getting it right?

please reply

The π0 has whatever kinetic energy it takes to make up the necessary total.

ok...just one more thing...how much kinetic energy do you expect it to have?

Deepak247 said:

More than the rest energy of a breadbox? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Deepak247 said:

Unless other particles are produced, it will have whatever energy is left over as kinetic energy.

Thank you so much everyone...

I got almost all the answers i was looking for

just one slight thing, if anyone still bothers to reply...

how much energy is usually observed with this π0 particle? (i.e in MeV if possible)

What is energy in annihilation?

Energy in annihilation refers to the release of energy that occurs when matter and antimatter particles collide and annihilate each other.

How is energy in annihilation calculated?

The amount of energy released in annihilation can be calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light.

What is the significance of energy in annihilation?

The release of energy in annihilation is significant because it demonstrates the conversion of matter into pure energy, as proposed by Einstein's theory of relativity. It also has potential applications in fields such as nuclear energy and particle physics.

How does energy in annihilation differ from energy in other processes?

Energy in annihilation is unique in that it is the result of the complete conversion of matter into energy. In other processes, such as chemical reactions, only a small fraction of matter is converted into energy.

Can energy in annihilation be harnessed for practical use?

While the energy released in annihilation is incredibly powerful, it is also extremely difficult to control and harness for practical use. Scientists continue to explore ways to harness this energy, but it remains a challenging and complex task.