Why didn't Bernoulli's equation work for other values of water height?

• Thread starter CollectiveRocker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Procedure
In summary, the conversation discusses a large tank of water with a hose connected to it, and the relationship between the water height and the compressed air pressure inside the tank. It also mentions using Bernoulli's equation to calculate the speed of water flow from the hose at different heights, and the troubleshooting of incorrect answers for parts b and c. The speaker ultimately figures out the issue and reorganizes the equation to solve the problem.
CollectiveRocker
A large tank of water has a hose connected to it. The tank is sealed at the top and has compressed air between the water surface and the top. When the water height h has the value 3.5 m , the absolute pressure p of the compressed air is 4.20 * 10^5 Pa. Assume that the air above the water expands at cosntant temperature, and take the atmospheric pressure to be 1.0 * 10^5 Pa. a) What is the speed with which water flows out of the hose when h = 3.50 m? b) and c) just give other values to plugs in for the height. Now the question I have is: Can't i just use Bernouilli's equation? On the first one i did and got the right answer, but on part b and c i didn't, so what is the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps if you gave more details of what you did for parts b and c we could help you. Your troubles could simply be unit conversion how could we know when we do not have enough information.

Basically all i did was to plug the different heights in, the exact same place i did in part a), but i still got the wrong answer. Am i using the wrong procedure?

Any ideas fellas?

I could really use some help guys. If you have any ideas, they would be helpful.

Oh duh, I figured it out. Just had to reorganize the Bernouiili Equation.

1. What is a "procedure based question"?

A procedure based question is a type of question that requires a specific set of steps to be followed in order to arrive at an answer. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and investigations.

2. How is a procedure based question different from other types of questions?

Unlike open-ended or opinion-based questions, a procedure based question has a clearly defined process for obtaining an answer. It often involves following a specific method or protocol and collecting data to support the answer.

3. What are some examples of procedure based questions?

Examples of procedure based questions include: "What is the effect of temperature on plant growth?", "How does exercise impact heart rate?", and "What is the most efficient way to purify water?". These questions all require a specific procedure to be followed in order to obtain an answer.

4. How can I design a good procedure based question?

To design a good procedure based question, it is important to identify a specific problem or topic that can be investigated through a series of steps or actions. The question should also be clear and concise, and have a measurable outcome or result.

5. What are the benefits of using procedure based questions?

Procedure based questions promote critical thinking and problem solving skills, as well as the development of scientific inquiry and experimentation. They also allow for the replication of experiments and the verification of results, which are essential for the advancement of scientific knowledge.