ADC with successive approximation VS Digital ramp ADC

In summary, the counter-DAC part of the digital ramp works by incrementing even steps, even though the steps might be different sizes depending on whether you are counting from LSB to MSB or the other way around.
Bassalisk
I've asked this question before. But still I got some unanswered ones.
I am really tired, but I cannot sleep if I got something laying there, tingling me.

http://pokit.org/get/cfb750b79f49cfc12dc51a74a37f576e.jpg

This is digital ramp.

In attachments I added a full circuit, from allaboutcircuits.

Can somebody explain to me, how does the counter-DAC part works. I though I understood it, but i am still not comfortable with the idea. What kind of DAC gives even steps, how come it increments so evenly, that ramp? How does this counting works? What is that counter essentially?

It is confusing me, because in succesive approximation, we have a "normal" DAC, like DAC with R2R.

http://pokit.org/get/b75abb641b183f5128aa50a8eacd0770.jpg

Those jumps are uneven, and I understand that. But how come out of the digital ramp ADC, the DAC gives even steps.

It doesn't matter whether you go from LSB to MSB, or the other around, those steps cannot be even!

Attachments

• 0e79b3e2ad22eedeebb0998015fb1bef.jpg
    0e79b3e2ad22eedeebb0998015fb1bef.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 521
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
""It doesn't matter whether you go from LSB to MSB, or the other around, those steps cannot be even!""

i think in pictures.

if you're incrementing LSB the steps have to be same size,
0000=0
0001=1
0010=2
0011=3
0100=4
0101=5

one per step

but start from opposite end, MSB, and what happens ?

0000=0
1000=8
0100=4
1100=12

did i get the right question?

jim hardy said:
""It doesn't matter whether you go from LSB to MSB, or the other around, those steps cannot be even!""

i think in pictures.

if you're incrementing LSB the steps have to be same size,
0000=0
0001=1
0010=2
0011=3
0100=4
0101=5

one per step

but start from opposite end, MSB, and what happens ?

0000=0
1000=8
0100=4
1100=12

did i get the right question?

We think the same then :)

I though the increment was like this:

or better yet,

this crossed my mind

and accordingly for from MSB

1111There was my problem. So the increment goes like you said? Really didn't know that.
Mr. Jim you are my savior.

How do you know so much about electronics, if you were a energetic-trained?(Power lines etc). Every question I asked, you knew the answer about electronics...

Last edited:
""I though the increment was like this:
1111 ""

ahhh , logical enough.
in high school electronics class(ca 1963) teacher had us boys all build simple two transistor flip flops. We hooked them in cascade, to make a binary counter of about eleven or twelve bits and connected Simpson multimeters(analog) to show status of each stage. (LED's were only a dream then.) Drove LSB with a low frequency oscillator.

We watched the pattern on the meters as lsb ticked regularly and each successive stage of course ticked half speed. Took an hour to count up to all ones and we cheered as all eleven meters swung together back to zero...

so i guess that visual demonstration imprinted the progression of a binary count and the concept of carry .

i take it you're studying various ADC's. i like dual slope integrator the best.

jim hardy said:
ahhh , logical enough.
in high school electronics class(ca 1963) teacher had us boys all build simple two transistor flip flops. We hooked them in cascade, to make a binary counter of about eleven or twelve bits and connected Simpson multimeters(analog) to show status of each stage. (LED's were only a dream then.) Drove LSB with a low frequency oscillator.

We watched the pattern on the meters as lsb ticked regularly and each successive stage of course ticked half speed. Took an hour to count up to all ones and we cheered as all eleven meters swung together back to zero...

so i guess that visual demonstration imprinted the progression of a binary count and the concept of carry .

i take it you're studying various ADC's. i like dual slope integrator the best.

You know what, I will to my college demand an access to laboratory, and do just that! Thank you mr. Jim.

1. How does an ADC with successive approximation work?

An ADC with successive approximation uses a reference voltage and a comparator to compare the input voltage with a series of binary-weighted voltages until it finds the closest match. The process continues until the input voltage is accurately digitized.

2. What are the advantages of using a digital ramp ADC?

A digital ramp ADC uses a ramp voltage that is compared to the input voltage, making it simpler and faster compared to a successive approximation ADC. It also has a higher resolution and lower power consumption.

3. What are the limitations of a successive approximation ADC?

One limitation of a successive approximation ADC is that it requires a clock signal, which can introduce noise and affect accuracy. It also has a longer conversion time compared to a digital ramp ADC.

4. How does the accuracy of a digital ramp ADC compare to a successive approximation ADC?

In general, a successive approximation ADC has a higher accuracy compared to a digital ramp ADC. This is because the successive approximation method allows for more precise comparisons and adjustments to the input voltage.

5. Which type of ADC is more commonly used in modern electronic devices?

Both ADC with successive approximation and digital ramp ADC are commonly used in electronic devices, but successive approximation ADCs are more commonly used in modern devices due to their higher accuracy and versatility.