Solving Work Negative Sign Homework Questions

In summary, the problem involves calculating work done by friction and the coefficient of kinetic friction. The negative sign in the equation is due to energy being taken away by the frictional force, and it follows the principle of conservation of energy. There is also an error in the second part of the solution, where the distance for car 2 should be 20ft, not 50ft. The final stopping distance was calculated correctly.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

See attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is it -umg(50)? Why negative? Also I think this has something to do with conservative force and friction, and I'm very confused on this. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• dwa 001.jpg
    dwa 001.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 433
  • ewewe 001.jpg
    ewewe 001.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 282
Physics news on Phys.org
xzibition8612 said:

Homework Statement

See attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is it -umg(50)? Why negative? Also I think this has something to do with conservative force and friction, and I'm very confused on this. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

When the force is constant, Work = Force*Displacement.

In this case, it's negative because energy is being taken away from the cars by the frictional force, while they're being decelerated to a stop. The energy dissipated by friction is equal to the drop in kinetic energy (as each car comes to rest). This is conservation of energy.

μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction. mg is the weight (equal to the normal force on the car). 50ft is the distance through which car 1 moves.

BTW, there's an error in the second part of the solution. The expression for car 2 should be [itex]\sqrt{(2)(20)(0.5)(32.2)}[/itex] (i.e. 20, not 50), since 20ft is the distance car 2 takes to be brought to rest. The final stopping distance was calculated correctly, though.

1. Can you explain why there is a negative sign in the work formula?

The negative sign in the work formula represents the direction of the force and displacement. If the force and displacement are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative, indicating that energy is being removed from the system. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work done will be positive, indicating that energy is being added to the system.

2. How do I determine the direction of the negative sign in work problems?

To determine the direction of the negative sign in work problems, you need to consider the direction of the force and displacement. If the force and displacement are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work done will be positive.

3. What does a negative value for work mean in a real-life scenario?

In a real-life scenario, a negative value for work means that energy is being removed from the system. This could be seen, for example, when a person is pushing a box up a ramp. The force they are exerting is in the same direction as the displacement, so the work done is positive. However, if the person stops pushing and the box starts sliding back down the ramp, the force and displacement are now in opposite directions, resulting in a negative work value.

4. Can work ever be negative when the force and displacement are both positive?

No, work cannot be negative when the force and displacement are both positive. In order for work to be negative, either the force or displacement (or both) must be negative, indicating that the energy is being removed from the system. If both the force and displacement are positive, the work done will always be positive.

5. How can I use the negative sign in the work formula to solve problems?

The negative sign in the work formula is a crucial part of solving work problems, as it helps us determine the direction of the work done. By paying attention to the direction of the force and displacement, we can use the negative sign to correctly calculate the work done and understand whether energy is being added to or removed from the system.