Poincaré recurrence applicability condition?

In summary, the Poincaré recurrence theorem states that certain systems, with a fixed total energy and restricted dynamics to bounded subsets of its phase space, will eventually return to a state very close to the initial state. The Poincaré recurrence time is the length of time elapsed until the recurrence. This result applies to physical systems with conserved energy and invariant phase space volume. The condition for this to occur is that the system must have a fixed total energy and restricted dynamics in a bounded subset of phase space.
CuriousParrot
This is how Wikipedia summarizes the Poincaré Recurrence Theorem:
In mathematics, the Poincaré recurrence theorem states that certain systems will, after a sufficiently long time, return to a state very close to the initial state. The Poincaré recurrence time is the length of time elapsed until the recurrence. The result applies to physical systems in which energy is conserved.

This is wrong, isn't it? Don't you need to ensure the phase space is bounded, and isn't conservation of energy an insufficient justification for that? Like, imagine throwing two baseballs away from each other into infinite space at escape velocity or higher; surely energy is conserved, yet they'll never come back together.

That seems incredibly basic, so I apologize if I'm asking something really stupid here, but please check me on this.

Elsewhere, I've seen the theorem presented like this:
if the system has a fixed total energy that restricts its dynamics to bounded subsets of its phase space, the system will eventually return as closely as you like to any given initial set of molecular positions and velocities.

My question is this: How do you know if the dynamics are restricted to a bounded subset of phase space or not? What condition establishes that fact?

Physics news on Phys.org
The piece you quote says "certain systems". If you read further down the Wikipedia article it brings in invariant phase space volume.

What is the Poincaré recurrence applicability condition?

The Poincaré recurrence applicability condition is a concept in dynamical systems theory that states that a system will eventually return to a state that is arbitrarily close to its initial state, given enough time and a finite amount of energy.

How does the Poincaré recurrence applicability condition differ from the Poincaré recurrence theorem?

While the Poincaré recurrence theorem states that a system will eventually return to its exact initial state, the Poincaré recurrence applicability condition allows for small deviations from the initial state.

What types of systems does the Poincaré recurrence applicability condition apply to?

The Poincaré recurrence applicability condition applies to deterministic systems, where the future state of the system is completely determined by its initial conditions.

Is the Poincaré recurrence applicability condition applicable to real-world systems?

The Poincaré recurrence applicability condition is a theoretical concept and may not necessarily apply to real-world systems, as many factors such as external influences and energy dissipation can affect the behavior of a system.

What are the implications of the Poincaré recurrence applicability condition?

The Poincaré recurrence applicability condition has implications in fields such as thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, as it suggests that a closed system will eventually return to a state of maximum entropy or disorder.