Best undergrad field of study for a career in Corrosion engineering

In summary, the conversation revolves around a non-traditional student with a business degree who wants to pursue a career as a corrosion engineer. They have been working in the field of industrial coatings for steel and are now in outside sales and project management. The lack of a technical degree is seen as a hindrance to higher paying jobs in this field. The individual is seeking advice on which major would best prepare them for understanding the causes of corrosion, how to remedy it, and how to prevent it. They are considering materials science as it covers aspects of metallurgy that are important in this field. A friend of theirs has recently been hired by a consultancy after finishing a BEng in materials science.
inkdoggy724
I am a non-traditional student (36 w/ a business degree after leaving a CHemE program when in school the first time). The last 12 years of my life, I have worked in the application of industrial coatings' to steel . I still work in the field, and will continue to. Now, I work in outside sales and project management.

I find that the one thing that keeps me from the opportunity at the mid to high $100K a year jobs is the lack of a technical degree. My primary goal is to become a "corrosion engineer." Since only the University Of Akron offers that actual degree, what major (CHemistry, ChemE, Material Science E, or other) will give me the best chance to understand what is causing the corrosion, what will remedy the corrosion, and how to keep the corrosion away the longest? The best money is in cathodic protection of steel (pipelines) and concrete (rebar reinforced bridge structures). Individuals who audit facilities for corrosion issues and outline an action plan are also well compensated.

I am not sure that I need to fully understand the science behind the protective coatings themselves. The paint/coating/lining companies have teams of people tasked with specifying coatings for different applications (though as far as I know, maybe I DO need to understand the science).

Any input is greatly appreciated. I have allotted 6 years to finish the B.S.? Now, I need to figure out what I should be taking...

Physics news on Phys.org
Materials science is does this. It also goes into the metallurgy of the steel/aluminium alloys that corrode which is important with regards to things like pitting initiation, stress corrosion cracking, etc, that an electrochemistry degree may not cover.

A friend of mine just got swoop up by a consultancy after finishing his BEng Materials Science, and will be looking at gas pipelines and such.

1. What is corrosion engineering?

Corrosion engineering is a specialized field of engineering that deals with the study and prevention of corrosion, which is the gradual destruction of materials through chemical reactions with their environment.

2. What are the job opportunities for a corrosion engineer?

Corrosion engineers can work in a variety of industries, including oil and gas, automotive, aerospace, and construction. They can also work in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

3. Is a degree in materials engineering necessary for a career in corrosion engineering?

While a degree in materials engineering can be beneficial for a career in corrosion engineering, it is not the only option. A degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, or mechanical engineering can also be relevant to this field.

4. What are the key skills required for a corrosion engineer?

Some key skills required for a corrosion engineer include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, knowledge of materials and their properties, attention to detail, and the ability to work with a team.

5. Are there any certifications or professional organizations for corrosion engineers?

Yes, there are several certifications and professional organizations for corrosion engineers, such as the National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) and the International Corrosion Council (ICC). These organizations offer training, networking opportunities, and resources for professionals in the field.