How do i calculate every 12 weekdays in a spreadsheet?

• Thread starter itoikenza
  • Start date
In summary: In the third column, add the WORKDAY formula. Assuming the A column is the first date column, and the B column is the previous column + 12, enter "=WORKDAY(A1, B1, [List Of Holidays])" (without quotes) in the new cell. The [List Of Holidays] is a range you'll need to specify. Just make a list of dates in a column somewhere and name that range, then use the name in the WORKDAY formula.4) In the fourth column, enter the formula "=TEXT(C1,"dddd")" (without quotes) to get the day of the week, where C1 is the cell with the WORKDAY formula.5) Copy and
itoikenza
hi, id like to know how do i calculate every 12 weekdays (mon. to fri.) via a spreadsheet? is there a formula i can use that will always give me the 12th weekday after every date one after another in one column?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Unfortunately there is not a specific function for every strange thing people want to do. You need to work it out your self. Sounds do-able but may take some time. You could explore the VB macro editor, assuming you can write a program.

Good luck

If it wasn't for holidays it would be pretty easy. Add 16 days (2 days + 2 weeks), then add an additional two days if it is Thursday or Friday. Those holidays pretty much mandate writing a VB macro, however.

Take a look at the WORKDAY function (under Date & Time functions). It returns the date serial number of the date before or after a specified number of workdays. It also allows for consideration of user-supplied holidays.

thanks... then let's hope lotus symphony has it. as I've taken a liking to it recently...

edit: thanks i figured it all out, just one more, how do i add the name of each day? ex. monday

Last edited:
I think this example should work:

1) First column, put in a date, and make sure Excel recognizes it as a date (you can change the formatting later). e.g. 9-Jul-12

2) In the second column, add 12 to the cell with the previous value. e.g. enter "=A1+12" (without quotes) in the new cell, assuming the first cell was A1

You can just add and subtract days from dates in Excel (and you can copy and paste the "previous column + 12" formula to make things really easy).

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate every 12 weekdays in a spreadsheet?

The simplest way to calculate every 12 weekdays in a spreadsheet is to use the "WORKDAY" function. This function takes in three arguments: the start date, the number of weekdays to add, and an optional list of holidays to exclude. For example, if you want to calculate 12 weekdays after May 1st, 2021, the formula would be =WORKDAY("5/1/2021",12).

2. Can I exclude weekends from the calculation?

Yes, the "WORKDAY" function automatically excludes weekends from the calculation. By default, it counts only weekdays (Monday to Friday) as workdays. However, you can also specify a different weekend parameter in the formula if your workweek is different from the standard.

3. How do I calculate every 12 weekdays from a specific date?

To calculate every 12 weekdays from a specific date, you can use the "EDATE" function in combination with the "WORKDAY" function. The "EDATE" function calculates a new date by adding or subtracting a specified number of months from a given date. So, if you want to calculate 12 weekdays after May 1st, 2021, the formula would be =WORKDAY(EDATE("5/1/2021",1),12).

4. Is there a way to exclude holidays from the calculation?

Yes, you can exclude holidays from the calculation by providing a list of holiday dates in the third argument of the "WORKDAY" function. This list can be a range of cells that contain holiday dates or an array of dates, separated by commas. For example, if you want to exclude holidays on May 31st, 2021 and July 4th, 2021, the formula would be =WORKDAY("5/1/2021",12,{"5/31/2021","7/4/2021"}).

5. Can I calculate every 12 weekdays from a cell reference?

Yes, you can use cell references in the "WORKDAY" function to calculate every 12 weekdays from a specific date. This allows you to change the start date easily without modifying the formula. For example, if you have the start date in cell A1, the formula would be =WORKDAY(A1,12).