Maximizing Your College Credits: Preparing for Calculus at Community College

In summary, the individual is considering enrolling in a community college for a precalculus course during the summer in order to receive credit from their high school and be able to take a calculus course the following academic year. They are unsure about the quality of community colleges in general and are seeking recommendations. They also mention that their high school offers precalc in summer school, but it does not count for credit, and they want to ensure they take a good precalc course in order to have a strong foundation for calculus.
jai6638
hey.. am considering going to this community college in summer for doing my precalculus course... that way, my HS will be able to give me credit for it, enabling me to do a calculus course next academic year..

I wanted to know how community colleges are in general ?? are they good or should they be avoided?

thanks much...

Physics news on Phys.org
The one course I took at community college was not too good. It was not a math course however. Does your high school offer summer school in precalc? that might actually be a better way. I did this with geometry.

See if your teachers or people at the office can refer to anyone that can give you recomendations on community colleges in the area. You can take a course and take calc during high school, but it seems like you want to make sure you take a good precalc course :)

so-crates said:
The one course I took at community college was not too good. It was not a math course however. Does your high school offer summer school in precalc? that might actually be a better way. I did this with geometry.

they offer precalc in summer school but they don't give me credit for it which means that i would still have to do precalc for a whole year ..

it seems like you want to make sure you take a good precalc course :)

well I am thinking that a proper understanding of the material taught in precalculus is essential to be good at calculus.. hence, i want to make sure that the course i take is good !

Check to see if a good professor is teaching it. Try ratemyprofessor.com or something similiar.

What are the benefits of attending a community college?

Community colleges offer a variety of benefits, including lower tuition costs, smaller class sizes, flexible schedules, and transfer agreements with four-year universities. They also provide opportunities for career training and skill development through their vocational programs.

How can I make the most out of my community college experience?

To make the most out of your community college experience, it is important to actively participate in class, seek academic support when needed, get involved in extracurricular activities and clubs, and network with professors and peers. It is also helpful to create a plan for transferring to a four-year university if that is your goal.

Are community colleges less academically rigorous than four-year universities?

No, community colleges offer the same level of academic rigor as four-year universities. The courses are taught by qualified professors and are designed to prepare students for further education or the workforce. Community colleges also have resources such as tutoring and academic advising to support student success.

How do I choose the right community college for me?

When choosing a community college, consider factors such as location, cost, available programs and courses, transfer agreements, and student support services. You can also visit the campus, talk to current students and alumni, and research the college's reputation and graduation rates.

What are some common misconceptions about community colleges?

Some common misconceptions about community colleges include that they are only for students who are not academically successful, that the quality of education is lower than four-year universities, and that credits earned at community colleges are not transferable. However, these are not true. Community colleges offer opportunities for all types of students, provide quality education, and have transfer agreements with many universities.