Latex for Long-Division: Displaying Code

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about displaying long division using MathJax. The person tried copying code from a reference but it did not work. They asked if MathJax can support this type of code, but it is not possible due to limitations with the \multicolumn command.
jackmell
Hi,

Can we display a long-division? I tried copying the code in this reference (post 6) and it's not working:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/...084071&hilit=latex+for+long+division#p1084071

Someone in the Homework forum was asking a question about long
division and I think it's helpful if they see what it looks like.
Can PF display this code? I did try copying it to here, add tex delimiters and also spaces every 30 or so characters as per a FAQ I think.
But it did not work.

[tex]
\begin{array}{rc@{}c}&\multicolumn{2}{l}{\,\,\,\frac{1}{z}+ \frac{z}{3}+\frac{z^3}{15}-\dotsb}\vspace*{0.12cm}\\ \cline{2-3}\multicolumn{1}{r}{z^2-\frac{z^4}{3}+\frac{2z^6}{45}- \dotsb\hspace*{-4.8pt}}&\multicolumn{1}{l}{\hspace*{-5.6pt}\Big)\hspace*{4.6pt}z} \\ &\multicolumn{2}{l}{\,\,\, z-\frac{z^3}{3}+ \frac{2z^5}{45}-\dotsb}\\ \vspace{1mm} \cline{2-3}\vspace{1mm}&\multicolumn{2}{l}{\,\,\,\phantom{1{}-{}} \frac{z^3}{3}-\frac{2z^5}{45}+\dotsb}\\ &\multicolumn{2}{l}{\,\,\,\phantom{1{}-{}} \frac{z^3}{3}-\frac{z^5}{9}+ \frac{2z^7}{135}+\dotsb}\vspace*{0.12cm}\\ \vspace{1mm}\cline{2-3} \vspace{1mm}&\multicolumn{2}{l}{\,\,\,\phantom{z{}-{}\frac{z^3}{3}{}-{}}\frac{z^5}{15}- \dotsb}\end{array}
[/tex]

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MathJax does not support \multicolumn

1. What is Latex for Long-Division?

Latex for Long-Division is a code display feature in the Latex document preparation system that allows for the clear and organized display of long division equations.

2. How do I use Latex for Long-Division?

To use Latex for Long-Division, you will need to include the amsmath package in your Latex document and use the \longdiv{} command to display your long division equation.

3. Can I customize the display of my long division equation using Latex?

Yes, Latex for Long-Division allows for customization of the display, including changing the size and color of the equation and adding labels or annotations.

4. Does Latex for Long-Division work for all types of long division equations?

Yes, Latex for Long-Division can be used for all types of long division equations, including multi-digit numbers, decimals, and fractions.

5. Are there any tips for using Latex for Long-Division efficiently?

It is recommended to use the align environment in Latex to align the long division equation with other equations in your document. Additionally, using the \phantom{} command can help with spacing and alignment within the long division equation.