What is the duration of impact for a steel ball hitting a plastic box?

• Thread starter MEriksson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shock
In summary, the conversation is discussing the impact of a steel ball hitting a plastic box. The desired information is the deceleration speed during impact or the length of the impact, in order to use the formula F=ma to calculate other values. The conversation also mentions comparing two standards and the assumptions and calculations involved in determining the impact force and collision time. It is noted that elastic collisions involve the propagation of waves in solids, making it difficult to determine shock behavior for objects not designed for this purpose.
MEriksson
Hello, I'm trying to estimate how long the impact of a steel ball hitting a plastic box would be.

The actual case: you drop a steal ball d=0.51mm, m=0.54kg from h=0.74m onto a box made of plastic, the impact speed is 3.86m/s and force 4J. I want to know the deceleration speed during impact or how long the impact lasts so i can use F=ma, to get the other. Anyone have a estimate for these numbers?

The reason: I'm comparing UL standard 60068-2-27 with IEC standard 60950-1 :P

Engineering news on Phys.org
impulse = Favg * t = m * v
Favg = avg. impact force
t = time of contact or collision
m = mass of falling ball
v = change in vel of ball after and before collision

it must be assumed if it is an elastic or inelastic collision to find out velocity of ball after collision using conservation of momentum considering losses.

impact force has to be found out somehow. it has to be greater than m* g . it is usually taken to be twice of static force due to mass mg.

from the above data you can find out collision time.

i considered elastic collision.
v = 3.86ms-1 for both before and after collision. hence net change is 7.72ms-1.
Favg = 2*0.54*9.81

gives t = 0.8sec

It depends only on the stiffness of both objects if the collision is elastic. The answer is in the low ms range, or lower with your small objects, and the shock often in the 10,000G range. In the plastic range, it depends on plastic behaviour, sure.

Not obvious: the "elastic behaviour" involves generally the propagation of waves in the solids. Seriously difficult to determine with objects that were not designed for their shock behaviour.

I doubt about d=0.51mm, m=0.54kg.

1. How long does a shock last on average?

The duration of a shock varies greatly depending on the type and severity of the shock. In most cases, a shock will last only a few milliseconds, but it can also last for several seconds.

2. What factors can affect the duration of a shock?

The duration of a shock can be affected by several factors, including the strength and intensity of the electric current, the duration of exposure to the current, and the resistance of the body to the shock.

3. Can the duration of a shock be fatal?

Yes, the duration of a shock can be fatal if the electric current is strong enough and the exposure is prolonged. The longer the duration of the shock, the greater the risk of serious injury or death.

4. How can the duration of a shock be measured?

The duration of a shock can be measured using specialized equipment, such as an oscilloscope, which records the electrical activity of the body during a shock. This information can then be used to calculate the duration of the shock.

5. What should I do if I experience a shock that lasts longer than a few seconds?

If you experience a shock that lasts longer than a few seconds, seek medical attention immediately. The longer the duration of the shock, the greater the risk of serious injury, so it is important to seek medical help as soon as possible.