What is the correct Fourier Series for f(x) = sinx on the interval 0 < x < ∏?

In summary, the problem is asking to calculate the Fourier Series of a function f(x) with specific conditions. Using the given formulae, the solution involves finding the values for a0, an, and bn. However, it is important to note that the n=1 term cannot be used in the series. After correcting for this mistake, the correct answer is obtained by integrating the function.
supermiedos

Homework Statement

I must calculate the Fourier Series of

f(x) = 0, when -∏< x < 0 and f(x) = sinx, 0 < x < ∏

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formulae, I calculated a0 = 2/pi, an = [ (-1)^n + 1 ] / [ ∏(1 - n^2) ], and bn = 0, so my Fourier series goes like this:

f(x) = 1/∏ + (1/∏) Ʃ [ (-1)^n + 1 ] / [ ∏(1 - n^2) ] cos nx, but since n = 1 is not an option, I start Ʃ from n = 2 to infinity.

However the book says that the answer is

f(x) = 1/∏ + sin x / 2 + (1/∏) Ʃ [ (-1)^n + 1 ] / [ ∏(1 - n^2) ] cos nx, where n also goes from n = 2 to infinity.

Where did that sin x / 2 came from?? I don't know there a sin term since bn = 0!

Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that you threw out the n=1 cosine term because it wasn't defined at n=1 suggests you made the same mistake for the sine term.

If you do the calculation for a general value of n, and find that there is a value of n for which your calculation wasn't defined (at ANY step) then you have to go back and do it again with that specific value of n to check what it is supposed to be.

Ah I get it! Now I got the correct answer if i do the integral. Thank you very much

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate functions that repeat themselves over regular intervals.

2. What is the purpose of using Fourier series?

The main purpose of using Fourier series is to break down a complex function into simpler components in order to better understand and analyze it. It is also used to approximate functions, solve differential equations, and in signal processing.

3. How do you calculate a Fourier series?

A Fourier series can be calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions using integration. There are also various methods such as the Fourier transform and the discrete Fourier transform that can be used to calculate Fourier series.

4. What are the applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, mathematics, and signal processing. They are used in solving differential equations, analyzing periodic phenomena, and in digital signal processing for data compression and filtering.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier series?

While Fourier series are a powerful tool for analyzing functions, they do have some limitations. They can only be used for periodic functions, and the convergence of the series can be affected by certain types of discontinuities or singularities in the function being analyzed.