Doppler Effect Formula Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between two formulas used to calculate the observed frequency of a siren in motion. The first formula, used at the speaker's new school, assumes a stationary observer and takes into account the relative velocity of the two objects. The second formula, used at the speaker's old school, is more general and takes into account the asymmetry between the source and observer's movement relative to the medium. This explains why in some cases, the observed frequency may be different when the source is moving towards the observer compared to when the observer is moving towards the source.
tompalatine
I am a high school teacher and I just came across this issue when I began teaching at a new school. I am positive that if I am stationary and a 500 Hz siren comes towards me at 30 m/s, then the observed frequency will increase. I am 99% positive that if the 500 Hz siren is stationary and I move towards it at 30 m/s, the observed frequency will be the exact same.

At my new school, we use the formula:

Frequency observed = frequency [343 / (343 +/- v)]
Obviously the 'v' was the relative velocity of the two objects and adding/subtracting depended on their motion. This made 1st paragraph I described above work out correctly. Whether I move towards a siren or the siren moved towards me, then the observed frequency was the same.

At my old school, we used the formula seen on Wikipedia:

Frequency observed = frequency [(343+/-Vr) / (343 +/- Vs)]

This is what confused me. Using the example above, if a 500 Hz siren comes towards (a stationary) me you would get:

Frequency observed = 500 [(343 + 0) / (343 - 30)] = 547.92 Hz

If I move at the same speed towards a stationary 500 Hz siren, you get:

Frequency observed = 500 [(343 + 30) / (343 + 0)] = 543.73 Hz

How can those be different? The relative velocity between the two is the same. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Which way is the correct way?

Physics news on Phys.org
tompalatine said:
I am a high school teacher and I just came across this issue
How can those be different? The relative velocity between the two is the same. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Which way is the correct way?

For waves propagating in a medium, the two values are not supposed to be the same.
The medium breaks the symmetry. The relative speed source-observer is the same but the speed of the medium relative to the observer is not. So the speed of the observer relative to the medium is different in the two cases.

nasu said:
For waves propagating in a medium, the two values are not supposed to be the same.
The medium breaks the symmetry. The relative speed source-observer is the same but the speed of the medium relative to the observer is not. So the speed of the observer relative to the medium is different in the two cases.

So when I assumed that a siren moving at 30 m/s towards a stationary listener would create the same observed frequency as the listener moving at 30 m/s moving towards a stationary siren...I was wrong?

I am afraid so. :smile:

The formula used at your new school is a special case of the general one, for stationary observer.
Most of the examples on the web are for this special case.

The "old school" formula is more general. I am surprised that you did not realize the asymmetry between source and observer, if you say you used this general formula for some time.

nasu said:
I am afraid so. :smile:

The formula used at your new school is a special case of the general one, for stationary observer.
Most of the examples on the web are for this special case.

The "old school" formula is more general. I am surprised that you did not realize the asymmetry between source and observer, if you say you used this general formula for some time.

Can someone explain why there is an asymmetry in a little bit more detail?

1. What is the Doppler Effect Formula?

The Doppler Effect Formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave when there is relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer.

2. How is the Doppler Effect Formula used in real life?

The Doppler Effect Formula is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in weather forecasting to track the movement of storms, in medical imaging to measure the flow of blood in the body, and in astronomy to study the movement of celestial objects.

3. What are the variables in the Doppler Effect Formula?

The variables in the Doppler Effect Formula are the velocity of the wave, the velocity of the source, the velocity of the observer, the frequency of the wave, and the speed of sound or light in the medium.

4. How does the Doppler Effect Formula relate to the concept of pitch?

The Doppler Effect Formula explains why the pitch of a sound appears to change when a moving object emitting the sound passes by an observer. As the object moves closer, the frequency of the sound waves increases, resulting in a higher pitch. As the object moves away, the frequency decreases, resulting in a lower pitch.

5. What is the difference between the Doppler Effect for sound waves and light waves?

The Doppler Effect for sound waves is based on the speed of sound in a medium, while the Doppler Effect for light waves is based on the speed of light in a vacuum. Additionally, the Doppler Effect for light waves can also be affected by the relative motion of the source or observer due to the constant speed of light.