Multi-Species Ideal Gas Law and Mean Molecular Mass

In summary: Beyond this, the translational and vibrational energies will be additive, but the rotational energy will be divided by the number of particles in the system. So in the case of a diatomic molecule like H2, the high temperature limit for translational and vibrational energy is 2.5kT, but the rotational energy is only 0.75kT (3/2kT + 0.5kT).
Allday
Hi forums. I have what I think is a simple question but I'm making myself confused. I'm trying to work out the relationship between energy density ( [itex] u [/itex] = energy per unit volume ) and temperature in a multi-species ideal gas (no molecules just different mass ions). The simplest example of something like this would be a hydrogen gas and the species would be neutral hydrogen, ionized hydrogen, and free electrons. I assume all species are at the same temperature. I know the monatomic answer is,

[tex] u = \frac{3}{2} n k T [/tex]

where [itex] n [/itex] is the number density of all particles and [itex] k [/itex] is Boltzmann constant. I'm trying to decide if I need to add a factor of the mean molecular mass ( [itex] \mu [/itex] = the mean mass of an ion divided by the proton mass) in this relation for the multi-species case. [itex] \mu [/itex] is dimensionless so I can't decide on the basis of dimensional analysis.

I suppose the question is equivalent to asking if the energy density of a box of hydrogen at a fixed temperature is equal to that of a box of helium at the same temperature ... the more I think about this, the more I'm thinking the factor of [itex] \mu [/itex] is not needed. Can anyone confirm this?
Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression is correct for the kinetic energy contribution to the energy density. Each particle species has mean kinetic energy 3/2kT, regardless of mass. The potential energy of a system of charged particles will be volume dependent though, so this expression may not get you very far.

thanks gadong. I'm modeling the cooling curve for astrophysical plasmas (i.e. low density and globally charge neutral) so I'm just interested in that portion of energy which comes from kinetic motion of the particles.

Are you sure you can ignore rotational energy?

To clarify, my comment referred to H/H+/e- particles, so I may have mislead you. For diatomic species like H2 the mean *classical* energy consists of:

translational kinetic energy (of entire molecule): 3/2kT
rotational: kT
vibrational: 0.5kT.

In total, 3kT, or the same as the two atoms considered in isolation (as it should be).

For a quantum system, the above values of the vibrational and rotational energies represent the high temperature limits.

1. What is the Multi-Species Ideal Gas Law and how is it different from the Ideal Gas Law?

The Multi-Species Ideal Gas Law is a modified version of the Ideal Gas Law that takes into account the presence of multiple gas species in a mixture. It is different from the Ideal Gas Law in that it includes an additional parameter, the mean molecular mass, which represents the average mass of all the gas molecules in the mixture. This allows for more accurate calculations of gas behavior in mixtures.

2. How is the Multi-Species Ideal Gas Law calculated?

The Multi-Species Ideal Gas Law is calculated using the equation PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. However, in this equation, n is replaced with a more complex term that involves the partial pressures of each gas species and the mean molecular mass.

3. How is the mean molecular mass determined in the Multi-Species Ideal Gas Law?

The mean molecular mass is determined by taking the weighted average of the individual molecular masses of each gas species in the mixture. This means that the mass of each gas species is multiplied by its mole fraction (the ratio of its number of moles to the total number of moles in the mixture) and then all of these values are summed together to get the mean molecular mass.

4. What is the significance of the mean molecular mass in gas mixtures?

The mean molecular mass is an important parameter in gas mixtures because it affects the overall behavior of the gas mixture. It is used to calculate the average speed of the gas molecules, which in turn affects the pressure, volume, and temperature of the mixture. Additionally, the mean molecular mass is used in the Multi-Species Ideal Gas Law to account for the different masses of the gas molecules in the mixture.

5. How does the Multi-Species Ideal Gas Law apply to real-world situations?

The Multi-Species Ideal Gas Law is commonly used in many industries, including chemical engineering, atmospheric science, and gas analysis. It is used to model the behavior of gas mixtures in various conditions, such as in chemical reactions, combustion processes, and atmospheric systems. It is a valuable tool for predicting the behavior of gas mixtures and making accurate calculations in real-world situations.