Is the potential barrier of a nucleus related to its binding energy and size?

In summary, the potential barrier of the nucleus plays a crucial role in spontaneous fission, with the tunnel effect being responsible for the process. The potential barrier is affected by the binding energy of the nucleus, with larger nuclei having lower binding energies per nucleon and therefore a higher probability of spontaneous fission. This is due to the unstable nature of these nuclei, as they are difficult to hold together due to the large number of protons and neutrons. Additionally, the height of the potential barrier is equal to the binding energy of the nucleus.
sunrah
I am confused about spontaneous fission. My basic understanding is that like α-decay the tunnel effect is responsible. We have a potential barrier caused by the superposition of surface tension energy and coulomb potential through which an energised nuclear fragment can tunnel with a certain probability.

How does the potential barrier of the nucleus relate to its binding energy? I have read that in reality it is only very large nuclei that undergo spontaneous fission; these nuclei have have lower binding energies per nucleon. How does reduction in B/A effect size of potential barrier? Also in class we have derived the tunneling probability

[itex]T \propto e^{-2G}[/itex]

where G is the Gamov funktion. I have read that [itex]G \propto m[/itex] and that heavier particles/fragments have lower tunneling probability that is why α-decay is much more common than spontaneous fission of heavy nuclei. If so why are heavy nuclei more likely to fission spontaneously than lighter ones?

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks but I have already read those pages enough :)

Here is a speculation. Of elements heavier than iron, the heavier the element the less binding energy per nucleon.

Of course elements lighter than iron can't spontaneously fission at all.

just to add to what anorlunda already said , heavy nuclei can fission spontaneously and deliberately because they are unstable to begin with , it has to do with the proton neutron number as it gets too big the nuclear force which holds everything together ( like glue) is having a hard time to hold the big structure together and it can break apart.
Small nuclei which have few protons and neutrons ( Hydrogen being the smallest one proton one electron) are very sable , few particles holding strongly together.

thanks for the replies!

so these large nuclei are unstable to begin with because the binding energy per nucleon drops significantly whilst coulomb repulsion increases causing strong oscillations/deformation in the ground state?

also I couldn't find a definite answer to this: is the height of the potential barrier Ef above the ground state equal to the binding energy Eb ? are they one and the same? here is what I mean

http://www.kutl.kyushu-u.ac.jp/seminar/MicroWorld3_E/3Part3_E/3P33_E/fission_barrier_E.jpg

as for the first one the answer is yes.
as for the second i will let some more experienced people comment , but as far as I know you can tell how strongly something was held together by calculating how much force it took you to break it apart , now to my understanding this would also be the case to your question number too and I tend to think the answer should be yes.

What is spontaneous nuclear fission?

Spontaneous nuclear fission is a process in which a large, unstable atomic nucleus splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a significant amount of energy.

What causes spontaneous nuclear fission?

Spontaneous nuclear fission is caused by the inherent instability of certain atomic nuclei, which leads to their spontaneous breakdown into smaller, more stable nuclei.

What are the products of spontaneous nuclear fission?

The products of spontaneous nuclear fission can vary, but typically include smaller nuclei, neutrons, and a release of energy in the form of gamma rays and heat.

How is spontaneous nuclear fission different from induced nuclear fission?

Spontaneous nuclear fission occurs naturally without any external influence, while induced nuclear fission is triggered by bombarding a nucleus with particles such as neutrons.

What are the potential applications of spontaneous nuclear fission?

Spontaneous nuclear fission is primarily used in the production of nuclear energy, as well as in nuclear weapons. It is also studied for its potential use in radiation therapy for cancer treatment.