People not interested in science?

• Thread starter AdrianHudson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of interest in science and math among high school students and the general population. The speakers suggest that it may be due to the difficulty and imagination required in these subjects, as well as the societal pressure to focus on more "normal" interests. They also touch on the restriction of science and education, which may have started with the Manhattan project. The conversation concludes with a reminder to not judge others for their lack of interest in certain subjects and to focus on one's own interests.
Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
So, you're now a pilot AND a herpetologist?

No, but I have a pond and MS Flight Simulator!

On a more OT note, I just wanted to say, I personally had some issues understanding why people felt this way. What I found is that you can't sleuth out the good people simply with their levels of interest in the STEM fields. No, instead, surround yourself with critical thinkers who are passionate.

As much as I'd like them to, not everyone has a love for science and math. But people who are passionate about their interests, those are the really interesting types. The ones that think critically about how the world works, in their own unique way. Whether this expression come forth in writing, painting, acting, studying cultures, mathematics, etc-- is irrelevant.

A lack of wonder throughout is a big issue. People are just going through the motions of their day without anything to inspire them. That scares me.

HayleySarg said:
On a more OT note, I just wanted to say, I personally had some issues understanding why people felt this way. What I found is that you can't sleuth out the good people simply with their levels of interest in the STEM fields. No, instead, surround yourself with critical thinkers who are passionate.

As much as I'd like them to, not everyone has a love for science and math. But people who are passionate about their interests, those are the really interesting types. The ones that think critically about how the world works, in their own unique way. Whether this expression come forth in writing, painting, acting, studying cultures, mathematics, etc-- is irrelevant.

A lack of wonder throughout is a big issue. People are just going through the motions of their day without anything to inspire them. That scares me.

I'm curious if the "lack of wonder" that you speak of may be in part due to the bruising economic climate since the financial crisis of 2008. After all, it is difficult to be inspired by anything if your primary focus is on whether you or your family can stay in their homes, get food on the table, or find any work to get by.

I am also curious if, at least in the US, there are any school subjects that are especially taught well (since the consensus seems to be that math and science are not taught well).

Last edited:
Hmm, I can't say for sure. I'm just a kid myself, but I felt the economic crisis (I'm nearly 22). It definitely changed my perspective on life, when scholarship funding and loan availability just went out the window.

I think parents as a whole (not all, but some) feel as if it's a better thing to study what leads to money. This is a very realistic goal, of course. But they're not encouraging students to think realistically while still encompassing their "dream" goals. Say you want to be an actor-- well... how?

Obviously it's a very slim field, but if my future offspring had a very solid backup plan and 5 year plan-- I'd say go for it. If that's their passion, who am I to stop them. As long as they're being realistic about the job outlook and when they find themselves working in something completely aside from what they intended to, they aren't whining about it.

StatGuy2000 said:
I'm curious if the "lack of wonder" that you speak of may be in part due to the bruising economic climate since the financial crisis of 2008. After all, it is difficult to be inspired by anything if your primary focus is on whether you or your family can stay in their homes, getting food on the table, or seeking to find any work to get by.
It does not help to worry about that the whole day. Do you get more food if you stop thinking about anything else?

Apart from that, the fraction of the population that actually has to worry about food (in the sense of "how do I buy it", not "how do I get rid of it afterwards") is small in industrialized countries.

mfb said:
It does not help to worry about that the whole day. Do you get more food if you stop thinking about anything else?

Apart from that, the fraction of the population that actually has to worry about food (in the sense of "how do I buy it", not "how do I get rid of it afterwards") is small in industrialized countries.

The point I was trying to make was whether or not inspiration to pursue the sciences (or the arts for that matter) may be impacted during periods of economic stress. And while you are correct that the percentage of the population that actually has to worry about food is small, there is still an overall climate of economic insecurity that has long-term impacts on the nation and its people.

On a different note, I still see no answer to my question on whether any school subject is taught particularly well in US schools (I live in Canada so my own views will not reflect the US reality).

StatGuy2000 said:
The point I was trying to make was whether or not inspiration to pursue the sciences (or the arts for that matter) may be impacted during periods of economic stress. And while you are correct that the percentage of the population that actually has to worry about food is small, there is still an overall climate of economic insecurity that has long-term impacts on the nation and its people.

On a different note, I still see no answer to my question on whether any school subject is taught particularly well in US schools (I live in Canada so my own views will not reflect the US reality).

I agree, the recession made studying something just because you find it "beautiful and awe-inspiring" too much of a luxury.

With regard to your question about well-taught subjects, it's hard to answer because no subject is taught just one way. Even in the same school, the difference between Mr. Smith vs. Ms. Jones teaching the exact same class can be huge.

Add in the fact that schools are controlled by *local* school boards (and often funded locally) you can see why there is tremendous variability in the quality of education.