Anybody here ever have a concussion?

• Thread starter naes213
  • Start date
In summary: Natasha Richardson's death is a reminder that anyone with a head injury should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
naes213
Hey Everyone,

Weird question, but has anyone who has had a concussion in the past noticed a marked degradation in their ability to preform cognitively at the same level after their concussion?

The background is I hit my head on the ground yesterday and I can't get to the doctor until Friday. I'm a graduate student and I'm just wondering what other people's experiences were like and whether their is a possibility that I would notice something in my work going forward.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, we can't provide medical advice here, it's against our policy.

You really should find a way to see a doctor sooner than Friday.

naes213 said:
Hey Everyone,

Weird question, but has anyone who has had a concussion in the past noticed a marked degradation in their ability to preform cognitively at the same level after their concussion?

The background is I hit my head on the ground yesterday and I can't get to the doctor until Friday. I'm a graduate student and I'm just wondering what other people's experiences were like and whether their is a possibility that I would notice something in my work going forward.

Thanks!
Why didn't you go to the ER? When I got a concussion, I was taken by ambulance to the ER.

There is no way we can guess if anything went wrong.

If you hit your head and have noticed " a marked degradation in their ability to preform cognitively", that is pretty much the definition of "emergency". You should go to the ER. Now.

If one feels a change in one's mental/cognitive faculties following a head trauma, one should go to the hospital emergency room (ER) as others have suggested.

The severity of the condition depends on what part of the brain is injured and whether or not blood vessels rupture, whether or not there is a pre-existing condition, one's age, etc. One extreme case is that of actress Natasha Richardson, who had what appeared to be a 'miinor fall'. Well that incident produced was became a fatal injury that required immediate medical intervention.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/20090318/natasha-richardsons-fatal-brain-injury-faq

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/health/20braincnd.htm
The autopsy suggests that the fall tore an artery in Ms. Richardson’s head, resulting in bleeding in an area between the skull and the lining covering the brain, called the dura mater.
. . . .

The official cause of death was an epidural hematoma. A hematoma is a collection of blood, and epidural in this case refers to the space between the skull and the dura. If surgery is performed quickly, it may be possible to save the patient’s life, doctors said.
. . . .
Head/brain injuries are very serious.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the common symptoms of a concussion?

Symptoms of a concussion may include headache, dizziness, confusion, memory loss, nausea, and sensitivity to light or noise. However, these symptoms may vary from person to person and may not always be immediately present.

2. How is a concussion diagnosed?

A concussion is typically diagnosed through a physical examination and evaluation of the individual's symptoms and medical history. In some cases, imaging tests such as a CT scan or MRI may be used to rule out other potential injuries.

3. What is the treatment for a concussion?

The most important treatment for a concussion is rest and avoiding activities that can worsen symptoms. In some cases, medication may be prescribed to manage symptoms such as headaches. It is important to follow a healthcare professional's instructions for recovery and return to physical activity.

4. Can a concussion have long-term effects?

In most cases, a concussion will resolve within a few weeks with proper treatment and rest. However, in some cases, individuals may experience long-term effects such as persistent headaches, difficulty concentrating, and mood changes. It is important to seek medical attention if symptoms persist or worsen.

5. How can concussions be prevented?

Concussions can be prevented by taking precautions to avoid head injuries, such as wearing helmets during sports and other physical activities. Additionally, following safety guidelines and rules in sports can help reduce the risk of concussions. It is also important to seek medical attention if a head injury does occur to prevent further damage.