Energy conversion efficiency (Light -> heat)

In summary, the conversation centers around seeking advice on calculating the energy conversion efficiency of heat from light energy. The formula of 'energy output/energy input' cannot be applied in this case and the example of material 1 and material 2 shows that material 2 has a better energy conversion efficiency. The person is looking for a quantitative expression of this efficiency and is advised to take into account the heat capacity of the material. The conversation also touches on the fact that all energy from a laser eventually becomes heat and the only difference is in how much is absorbed and reflected. The person is asked to work out the energy needed for the observed temperature changes and the definition of "energy conversion efficiency" is also discussed.
Tah
Hi, all

I'm seeking advice on how to calculate the energy conversion efficiency, in case of heat from light energy.

I think that one of the general formulas 'energy output/energy input' can not be applied in this problem.

Assuming that light(or laser) has 10W power output and material 1 exposed to the light source generates heat from 20C' to 30'C for a second, while material 2 generates heat from 20'C to 40'C for a second.

In this case, we can say that the energy conversion efficiency is better for material 2, but I want to describe this as a quantitative expression.

Please can anyone help me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Note: temperature and heat are different things. You need the material heat capacity so you can relate the power delivered by the laser to the rate heat-energy increases.

Sorry for that, I didn't realize that.

Heat capacity can be 3600 J/(kg*K)

All energy expended by a laser (and most other devices) eventually becomes heat (thermal energy). The only real question is how much is absorbed and how much is reflected.

If the laser is the same and only the material is different, then the difference can either be in how much is reflected or what the heat capacity is (or both).

Tah said:
Sorry for that, I didn't realize that.

Heat capacity can be 3600 J/(kg*K)
OK - so can you work out the energy needed to get the temperature changes that were observed?
What is the definition of "energy conversion efficiency"?

What is energy conversion efficiency?

Energy conversion efficiency is the ratio of output energy to input energy in a particular energy conversion process. In the case of converting light into heat, it is the amount of heat produced divided by the amount of light energy used.

How is energy conversion efficiency measured?

Energy conversion efficiency is typically measured as a percentage and is calculated by dividing the output energy by the input energy and multiplying by 100. For example, if 100 Joules of light energy produces 85 Joules of heat energy, the energy conversion efficiency would be 85%.

What factors affect energy conversion efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect energy conversion efficiency, including the type of materials used, the design of the conversion system, and external conditions such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, the efficiency of energy conversion can also be affected by losses due to friction and heat dissipation.

What is the importance of energy conversion efficiency?

The efficiency of energy conversion is important because it determines the amount of usable energy that can be obtained from a given source. The higher the efficiency, the more energy can be produced, reducing the need for additional resources and minimizing waste.

How can energy conversion efficiency be improved?

Improving energy conversion efficiency can be achieved through advancements in technology, such as using more efficient materials and designs, as well as optimizing operating conditions. Additionally, reducing energy losses and improving the overall system design can also contribute to increased efficiency.