Trivia Challenge: Sunday 22 June 11AM CST

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
In summary, the trivia challenge this sunday will be about famous scientists and their works. There will be 20 questions, mainly about them. Everybody is welcome!
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Sports-Trivia-Quiz.jpg

There will be a trivia challenge this sunday 22 june at 11 AM CST**

The host of the evening will be interhacker.

There will be 20 questions, mainly about famous scientists and their works.

Everybody is welcome!

** Time in different time zones: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Trivia+Quiz&iso=20140622T18&p1=48

Score of previous trivia challenges:
Jonathan Scott - 2 wins
interhacker - 1 win

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm already in the chat room!

Thank you for making it 11 a.m CST.

adjacent said:
Thank you for making it 11 a.m CST.

Oh yes! I forgot to tell that.. It's so convenient for me!:smile: It's 9:30 pm for me.

micromass said:
There will be a trivia challenge this sunday 22 june at 11 AM CST**

Belgium - Russia

Borek said:
Belgium - Russia

Hahaha, :rofl:
Won't you change the time micromass?

Oh, no.. :frown:

adjacent said:
Hahaha, :rofl:
Won't you change the time micromass?

Interhacker wanted this time. I have already seen the questions anyway, so I can't join. Maybe interhacker agrees to hold it at a later time?

I nobody is going to play the trivia because of the football then we will need to do it later. But it's interhacker's choice really.

Note: it is not that I think we should not hold a quiz during matches. It is just that some of us may want to see this particular one.

I will be there for this time! I can't do later~~

No worries guys, with me in the trivia challenge, you all didn't have any chance anyways. :tongue:

micromass said:
Maybe interhacker agrees to hold it at a later time?

If this time causes people inconvenience, I can agree to a later one. 12 and 1 PM CST both work.

interhacker said:
If this time causes people inconvenience, I can agree to a later one. 12 and 1 PM CST both work.

No, it's fine. Let's do 11AM CST.

Great!

Don't forget the trivia tomorrow!

micromass said:

Can't wait. :-)

Matterwave said:
... with me in the trivia challenge, you all didn't have any chance anyways. :tongue:

micromass said:

Oh. So it is still on for tomorrow. :blushing:

dlgoff said:

Yeah. In about 6 hours.

interhacker said:
Yeah. In about 6 hours.

Are the questions hard? Googling required for every one of them?

adjacent said:
Are the questions hard? Googling required for every one of them?

No, only for some of them.

Trivia starting in 50 minutes!

Trivia in 10 minutes! Come in now!

trollcast 17 points
HS-Scientist 4 points
montadhar 3 points

Likes 1 person
Questions for the Trivia:

Q1- This British scientist carried out a famous experiment related to gravity. It was the first experiment to measure the force of gravity between masses in the laboratory and the first to yield accurate values for the gravitational constant. This experiment and a laboratory at the University of Cambridge are named after him. What is his name?
A- Henry Cavendish

Q2- Famous for his pioneering work on Quantum Electrodynamics, he was also fond of playing the bongo drums and telling anecdotes about himself. He was also part of the Manhattan project and got his undergraduate degree from MIT.
A- Richard Feynman

Q3- This scientist invented the Cathode Ray Tube Oscilloscope in the year 1897.
A- Karl Braun

Q4- A self-taught genius who, without ever being formally trained as a mathematician, made extraordinary contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions. He was a fellow of the Royal Society, collaborated with the British mathematician G. H. Hardy and died at the young age of 32.
A- Srinivasa Ramanujan

Q5- This physicist is most famous for his two circuit laws which he described in 1845.
A- Kirchoff

Q6- The only woman to win the Nobel prize in both Physics and Chemistry. She died in 1934, her cause of death was related to her scientific work.
A- Marie Curie

Q7- Widely believed to be the most destructive chemist in history. He and his team synthesized the first CFC (called Freon). He also discovered the usefulness of leaded gasoline. He was a very respected scientist during his lifetime, but his reputation is now tarnished due to the environmental dangers that his inventions pose, such as ozone depletion. He also had a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
A- Thomas Midgley Jr

Q8- Ancient Greek mathematician and engineer, it is almost certain that he taught at the Musaeum which included the famous Library of Alexandria. He is famous for a formula that links the area of a triangle with its three sides.
A- Hero (or Heron) of Alexandria

Q9- She discovered the first radio pulsar and served as president of the royal astronomical society.
A- Dame (Susan) Jocelyn Bell Burnell

Q10- American astronomer, widely believed to be one of the most successful science popularizers of the twentieth century. Also known for his addiction to, and endorsement of marijuana.
A- Carl Sagan

Q11- In the science fiction novel “Contact” by Carl Sagan, scientists working for SETI receive a message being transmitted from the Vega system. After further analysis, it is found that a message is a re-transmission of a television broadcast from Earth. What is the content of the television broadcast?
A- Adolf Hitler's opening speech at the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin

Q12- He is said to have quoted from the Bhagaved Gita at the Trinity Nuclear Test
A- Robert Oppenheimer

Q13- He is known to have said, “All science is either Physics or stamp-collecting”. Some consider him to be the father of Nuclear physics.
A- Ernest Rutherford

Q14- She was the first person to determine that stars are primarily composed of hydrogen and helium, though she was pressured into retraction by a colleague who then arrived at the same conclusion a few years later.
A- Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin

Q15- What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?
A- 42

Q16- She was the first American woman to work as professional astronomer. She discovered the comet C/1847 T1 which is also known by her name. She also served as a professor at Vassar College.
A- Maria Mitchell

Q17- Three physicists won the Nobel Prize in Physics "for their contributions to the theory of the unified weak and electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles" in 1979. What were their names?
A- Weinberg, Glashow, Salam

Q18- In the science fiction novel “The Time Machine” by H. G. Wells, the protagonist time travels to a dystopian future dominated by two offshoots of the Human race. What are the names of those two offshoots?
A- The Eloi and the Morlocks

Q19- In addition to being an actress and international beauty icon, this Austrian-American was also a pioneer in the field of wireless communications. Her most significant technological contribution wasan early technique for spread spectrum communications and frequency hopping.
A- Hedy Lamarr

Q20- Who invented the Elastic-Clasp Brassiere Strap?
A- Samuel Clemens i.e Mark Twain

I hope you guys had fun and liked my questions. It was an honor to host the trivia. :smile:

micromass said:
trollcast 17 points
HS-Scientist 4 points
montadhar 3 points

Thank you for letting me host the trivia, micro. :smile:

Belgium-Russia - 0:0 so far.

I totally forgot...and slept through it...I'm sorry! T_T

Matterwave said:
... with me in the trivia challenge, you all didn't have any chance anyways. :tongue:

dlgoff said:

Matterwave said:
I totally forgot...and slept through it...I'm sorry! T_T
You've let me down. :mad:

dlgoff said:
You've let me down. :mad:

I set an alarm. I woke up and was like "yo dude, it's too early, I got time..." and then...and then I woke up and was like "*#&#^$#^".

It was a great trivia! Interhacker, you did really well.

Likes 1 person
Seems like I missed a fun trivia. :frown: Darn internet went dead that day.

1. What is the format of the "Trivia Challenge" event on Sunday 22 June at 11AM CST?

The "Trivia Challenge" event on Sunday 22 June at 11AM CST will be a live online trivia game where participants will be asked a series of questions on various topics. The questions will be presented through a video stream and participants can answer by typing their responses in the chat box.

2. How can I participate in the "Trivia Challenge" event?

To participate in the "Trivia Challenge" event, you will need to register for the event through the designated website or platform. Once registered, you will receive instructions on how to join the live event on Sunday 22 June at 11AM CST.

3. What topics will the trivia questions cover?

The trivia questions will cover a wide range of topics, including science, history, pop culture, geography, and more. The questions will be designed to be challenging and entertaining for all participants.

4. Can I participate in the "Trivia Challenge" event as a team?

Yes, you can participate in the "Trivia Challenge" event as a team. However, each team member will need to register individually and join the event using their own device. Team members can communicate with each other through a separate chat platform during the event.

5. Will there be prizes for the winners of the "Trivia Challenge" event?

Yes, there will be prizes for the winners of the "Trivia Challenge" event. The prizes will be announced at the beginning of the event and will be awarded to the top scoring participants or teams at the end of the game.