Building a Homemade Wind Tunnel for High School Project | Aerodynamics DIY

In summary: Thank you for all your support and your ideas! I will think about it because this kind of honeycombs are a better idea than the straws! Although I will need a lot of cardboard!
arriluk97
Hi guys!

I am doing a project for my High School, here in Spain, that is obligatory for everyone. As a love everything related with planes and aerodynamics I've decided to create this wind tunnel. Is approximately 2,15 meters long and it weights around 10 kilos. It is made 100% of wood and it creates a wind speed of 115 km/h when the body is completely close. It isn't finished yet but it is almost. I show to you this project to ask you a question. As you know, to get reliable results, you should have a regular wind flow and in the first part of the tunnel, you need to have something to create this wind flow. I was thinking of sticking straws but I need 6000 of them and that is too much, what else do you recommend to get the regular wind flow? Thank you for your help!

PS: You can tell me what do you think about this project! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140907_213039.jpg
    IMG_20140907_213039.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3,959
  • IMG_20140818_192721.jpg
    IMG_20140818_192721.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,295
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Very nice work! :biggrin: You might look at different kinds of packaging materials, to try to find something that has many parallel compartments. I've seen packaging for cardboard box contents that has a number of cardboard panels that interlock to form individual compartments. You could even make something similar yourself, with rectangular flat cardboard or plastic pieces with slots cut 1/2 way across them at regular intervals. Then hook them together at the slots to form an x-y array of channels.

I'll try to find a picture of what I mean a bit later today...

If you do a Google Images search on Honeycomb Cardboard, you will get some good hits to explore. Some pics:

Honeycomb Cardboard 1 http://harhurlreastless.blog.com/2014/05/11/honeycomb-cardboard/

Honeycomb Intersecting Rectangular Boards http://timberhunt.com/product/technology16.html

You can try other similar Google Images searches to find other potential diffuser structures for your wind tunnel. Have fun! :biggrin:

Attachments

• Honeycomb Cardboard 1.jpg
    Honeycomb Cardboard 1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,336
  • honeycomb%20pannel.jpg
    honeycomb%20pannel.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,355
That's a nice project! I have seen homemade wind tunnels that use a clever flow straightening structure that you can make yourself very easily and inexpensively. I'll try to describe it. Take a large, flat, thin, paper card--approximately the thickness of cardboard that breakfast cereal boxes are made of, for example. Fold it back and forth to produce a "fan-fold". Now place this between two flat cards, with a few dabs of glue to hold it together. It will look something like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
The length (into and out of the paper) should be long enough to straighten the flow but not so long that the pressure drop becomes large.

You should probably insert this between the front cone and the test space.

Thank you for all your support and your ideas! I will think about it because this kind of honeycombs are a better idea than the straws! Although I will need a lot of cardboard!

arriluk97 said:
Thank you for all your support and your ideas! I will think about it because this kind of honeycombs are a better idea than the straws! Although I will need a lot of cardboard!

If you look around at packaging stores, you may be able to find the material already made for not much money...

berkeman said:
If you look around at packaging stores, you may be able to find the material already made for not much money...

I have been looking at it but the main problem is that the honeycomb is not as wide as I need. For example if I use straws I need one 6 times larger than its diameter, and the honeycomb is quite short. I will look for it again!

So guys, I write in this post again, after a while, just to announce that I have finished my wind tunnel and now is completely operative! I leave you a link if you want to check it! Thank you for all support during the project!

Very nice work! So you did end up going with the straws then for the diffuser? :-)

berkeman said:
Very nice work! So you did end up going with the straws then for the diffuser? :)
Yes! I thought it would be easier using straws! Because the honeycomb was to short... Now I am planning to keep on working and design my own cars!

1. How does a homemade wind tunnel work?

A homemade wind tunnel works by creating a controlled airflow using a fan or blower. The air is then directed through a narrow and elongated tube, creating a uniform and consistent stream of air. This allows for objects to be tested and observed in a controlled and predictable wind environment.

2. What materials are needed to build a homemade wind tunnel?

The materials needed to build a homemade wind tunnel may vary depending on the design, but generally include a fan or blower, a long and narrow tube, a power source, and materials for the frame and support structure. Additional materials such as smoke generators or sensors may also be used for more advanced wind tunnel experiments.

3. How accurate are homemade wind tunnels compared to professional ones?

The accuracy of a homemade wind tunnel depends on the materials and design used. While it may not be as precise as a professional wind tunnel, a well-built homemade wind tunnel can still provide reliable results and insights for scientific experiments and projects.

4. What types of experiments can be conducted in a homemade wind tunnel?

A homemade wind tunnel can be used to conduct a variety of experiments, such as studying aerodynamics, testing the performance of different objects in wind conditions, and analyzing airflow patterns. It can also be used for educational purposes, such as demonstrating the Bernoulli principle or the effects of air resistance.

5. Is it safe to use a homemade wind tunnel?

As with any scientific experiment, safety precautions should always be taken when using a homemade wind tunnel. It is important to ensure that the materials used are sturdy and secure, and that the fan or blower is properly connected and functioning. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as goggles, when conducting experiments with moving air. Adult supervision is advised for younger scientists.