How Do You Calculate Angular Magnification for a Lens?

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the position of an image using the lens equation and finding the angular magnification using the equation M =N/f + 1. The correct position of the image was found to be -66.7cm, but there were difficulties in finding the correct angular magnification. It was suggested to use the equation m = 25 / f for this calculation, resulting in an approximate value of 1.09.
Jodi
Hi; Could someone please help me with this question: A small insect is placed 5.37 cm from a +5.84 cm focal length lens. a) Calculate the position of the image. b) Calculate the angular magnification.
For part a I used the lens equation 1/f = 1/d object + 1/d image, and I the position of the image to be -66.7cm...which is correct. However I can't get the right answer for the angular magnification. I used this equation: M =N/f + 1, but it doesn't give me the right answer. Can someone please help me with how to calculate angular magnification? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
angular magnification is defined by the equation m = 25 / f i believe you are using the equation for max magnification

Angular magnification is a measure of how much larger an object appears through a lens compared to its actual size. It is calculated using the formula M = -di/do, where di is the image distance and do is the object distance.

In this case, the object distance is 5.37 cm and the image distance is -66.7 cm (since it is a virtual image formed by a converging lens). Therefore, the angular magnification is M = -(-66.7 cm)/5.37 cm = 12.4. This means that the insect appears 12.4 times larger when viewed through the lens compared to its actual size.

Note that the formula you used, M = N/f + 1, is actually the linear magnification formula, where N is the height of the image and f is the focal length. This formula is used when calculating the size of the image formed by a lens, rather than the apparent size of the object.

1. What is angular magnification?

Angular magnification is a measure of how much an object appears larger or smaller when viewed through an optical instrument, such as a microscope or telescope. It is determined by the ratio of the apparent angle of an object when viewed through the instrument to the actual angle of the object.

2. How is angular magnification calculated?

Angular magnification is calculated using the formula M = θ' / θ, where M is the angular magnification, θ' is the apparent angle of the object when viewed through the instrument, and θ is the actual angle of the object.

3. What is the difference between angular magnification and linear magnification?

Angular magnification refers to the change in the angular size of an object, while linear magnification refers to the change in the linear size of an object. Angular magnification takes into account the distance between the observer and the object, while linear magnification does not.

4. How does the focal length of an optical instrument affect angular magnification?

The focal length of an optical instrument, such as a lens or mirror, affects angular magnification by determining the apparent angle of the object when viewed through the instrument. A longer focal length will result in a larger apparent angle and therefore a larger angular magnification.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular magnification?

Angular magnification is commonly used in optical instruments such as microscopes, telescopes, and binoculars to allow for a closer and more detailed view of objects. It is also used in photography to determine the magnification of a lens, and in astronomy to study celestial objects in greater detail.