Finding Steady State Solutions for a Mass-Spring System with a Moving Support

In summary, the position of a mass attached to a spring hangs from a moving support. The differential equation for the position of the mass is satisfied when w_0 = 3 and p = 1. If p = 0 then there is a value for w_0 > 0 for which there is no steady state.
Benny
Can someone help me out with the following question?

Q. The position x(t) at time t of a mass attached to a spring hanging from a moving support satisifies the differential equation:

[tex]
\frac{{d^2 x}}{{dt^2 }} + 2p\frac{{dx}}{{dt}} + \omega _0 ^2 x = 2\sin \left( t \right)
[/tex]

a) Find the steady state solution when w_0 = 3 and p = 1.
b) If p = 0 then there is a value for w_0 > 0 for which there is no steady state. What is this value of w_0? Justify your answer by finding the particular solution.

a) The auxillary equation has complex roots with a negative real part so the complimentary function isn't a part of the steady state solution since the decaying exponential leads to the complimentary function tending to zero as t gets large? So I need a particular solution I think. I found [tex]x_p \left( t \right) = \frac{1}{5}\left( {4\sin t - \cos t} \right)[/tex].

b) I'm not really sure about this part but I found a particular solution anyway. I obtained [tex]x_p \left( t \right) = \frac{{2\sin \left( t \right)}}{{\omega _0 ^2 - 1}}[/tex]. I don't understand what is meant by find a value for which there is no steady state. w_0 is constant so x_p(t) is just sine function with the 'usual' behaviour isn't it? If I were to guess I'd just say w_0 = 1 but could someone help me out with this question?

I would also like to know if the following would be a 'valid' way to quickly formulate the formula for the surface area of a graph revolved about the x-axis.

A bit of arc length is [tex]dL = \sqrt {1 + \left( {\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 } dx[/tex]. A 'sample' circumference is [tex]dC = 2\pi (height) = 2\pi f\left( x \right)[/tex]. Then the surface area of the graph revolved about the x-axis from x = a to x = b is [tex]S = \int\limits_a^b {2\pi f\left( x \right)} \sqrt {1 + \left( {\frac{{dy}}{{dx}}} \right)^2 } dx[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well Benny, this involves resonance right? What happens when [itex]\omega=1[/itex] in the differential equation with no damping? We get:

[tex]x^{''}+x=2Sin(t)[/tex]

But in that case, both the roots of the auxilliary equation and the roots of the differential operator for which the RHS is a particular solution are [itex]\pm i [/itex]? That means we have double roots. That means the particular solution is actually of the form:

[tex]y_p(x)=AtSin(t)+BtCos(t)[/tex]

So, the t in front of them means it oscillates without bounds right? That happens whenever input frequenies match output frequencies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Saltydog.

1. What is an ODE steady state solution?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) steady state solution is a solution to a differential equation where the derivative of the dependent variable is equal to zero. This means that the value of the dependent variable remains constant over time.

2. How is an ODE steady state solution different from a general solution?

A general solution to a differential equation includes all possible solutions, while an ODE steady state solution only includes solutions where the derivative is equal to zero. In other words, a steady state solution is a specific type of solution within the general solution set.

3. Why is the ODE steady state solution important in scientific research?

The ODE steady state solution is important in scientific research because it helps to understand the long-term behavior of a system. It allows scientists to determine the equilibrium state of a system and predict how it will behave over time.

4. How is the ODE steady state solution found?

The ODE steady state solution can be found by setting the derivative of the dependent variable equal to zero and solving for the independent variable. This will give the values of the independent variable at which the system reaches steady state.

5. Can an ODE steady state solution change over time?

No, an ODE steady state solution remains constant over time. This is because the derivative of the dependent variable is always equal to zero, so the value of the dependent variable does not change. However, the parameters of the system may change, resulting in a different steady state solution.