Finding Complex Roots: Showing 1 Has Three Cube Roots

In summary, there are three cube roots of the complex number 1 = 1 + 0i, which can be found using DeMoivre's formula or by solving the equation x^3-1=0. The three roots are 1, (-1/2) + (sqrt(3)/2)i, and (-1/2) - (sqrt(3)/2)i.
icantadd

Homework Statement

let the complex number 1 = 1 + 0i. Show this number has three cube roots. Use any means to find them.

Homework Equations

not sure. cubic root x means there is some number y, x = y*y*y.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well one root has to be 1
Another is (-1)*i^2 and another 1*i^2. I am not sure about these two, and I am not sure I could give an explanation why even if they are right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those aren't right. Do you know deMoivre's formula? If you don't want to use that you are trying to solve x^3-1=0 for x. Factor it.

i2= -1 so (-1)i2= (-1)(-1)= 1. That's not a new root. 1(i2)= -1 and (-1)3= -1, not 1 so that is NOT a root.

If you are expected to do a problem like this then you should already know "DeMoivre's formula": if [itex]z= r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] then [itex]z^c= r^c(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] which is true for c any number. In particular [itex]z^{1/n}= r^{1/n}(cos(\theta/n)+ i sin(\theta/n))[/itex] where [itex]r^{1/n}[/itex] is the unique real positive nth root of r. Since cosine and sine are periodic with period n, increasing [itex]\theta[/itex] by any multiple of [itex]2\pi[/itex] won't change [itex]r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] but dividing by n will.

In particular, [itex]1= 1+ 0i= 1(cos(0)+ i sin(0))= 1(cos(2\pi)+ i sin(\2pi))= 1(cos(4\pi)+ i sin(4\pi))[/itex]. Find the 3 third roots of 1 by dividing those angles by 3. For example, 1(cos(0/3)+ i sin(0/3))= 1 which gives the first third root of 1. Now, what are [itex]1(cos(2\pi/3)+ i sin(2\pi/3)[/itex] and [itex]1(cos(4\pi/3)+ i sin(\4pi/3))[/itex]?

1. What is a complex root?

A complex root is a number that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, results in a given number. It has both a real and imaginary component, and is typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you find complex roots?

To find complex roots, you can use the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has n complex roots. You can also use the quadratic formula for polynomials of degree 2, or use a graphing calculator or computer program to find the roots.

3. What is the difference between a simple and complex root?

A simple root is a number that, when multiplied by itself once, equals a given number. It is typically a real number. A complex root, on the other hand, has both a real and imaginary component and is found by multiplying a number by itself multiple times.

4. Can a number have more than one complex root?

Yes, a number can have multiple complex roots. For example, the number 8 has three complex roots: 2, -1 + √3i, and -1 - √3i. This is because 8 can be written as (2)^3, (-1 + √3i)^3, or (-1 - √3i)^3.

5. Why is it important to find complex roots?

Finding complex roots is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to solve equations and model real-world phenomena, and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of complex systems. Additionally, understanding complex roots is essential for further studies in advanced mathematics and calculus.