Determining the equation of an ellipse from its intersection with a parabola

In summary, to find the equation of the ellipse when given the vertex and focus of the parabola, one can use the property that the product of the tangents at the intersection of the ellipse and parabola is -1.
moshee

Homework Statement

The vertex of the parabola y^2=2px is the center of an ellipse. The focus of the parabola is an end of one of the principle axes of the ellipse, and the parabola and ellipse intersect at right angles. Find the equation of the ellipse.

Homework Equations

(x-h)^2/b^2 + (y-k)^2/a^2 = k AND (y-k)^2=4a(x-h)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my thought process and what I have obtained thus far:

y^2=2px is of the general form (y-k)^2=4a(x-h) i.e. a parabola whose directrix is parallel to the y-axis. The vertex is at (0,0) which also implies that the center of the ellipse is at (0,0) by the problem definition. The focus of the parabola is simply (p/2,0) and thus the coordinates of the endpoints for one of the principle axes (major or minor) is (+/- p/2,0).

Because the ellipse and parabola intersect at right angles, I have constructed my ellipse as: (x^2/b^2) + (y^2/a^2) = 1 (a>b) so that the foci which lie on the major axis of the ellipse are at (0,+/- c).

Substituting what I have so far into the eq'n of the ellipse will yield:
(4x^2)/p^2 + (y^2/a^2) = 1

To solve for a^2 and b^2, I applied the two basic properties of the ellipse. (1) The sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the foci is equal to the length of the major axis of the elipse and (2) c^2 = a^2-b^2 (where a & b are major/minor axis respectively)

Applying the first property I use the point (p/2,0) and establish the equality:

sqrt[(p/2-0)^2 + (0-c)^2] + sqrt[(p/2-0)^2 + (0+c)^2] = 2a
Simplifying: p^2+4c^2=4a^2

Applying the second property I have: c^2 = a^2 - (p/2)^2

2 eqn's, 2 unknowns. However, solving the equations i get 0=0, which is clearly wrong. I am not sure where I went wrong and need help uncovering my error. The suggested answer to the problem is 4x^2+2y^2=p^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi moshee! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
moshee said:
The vertex of the parabola y^2=2px is the center of an ellipse. The focus of the parabola is an end of one of the principle axes of the ellipse, and the parabola and ellipse intersect at right angles. Find the equation of the ellipse.

To solve for a^2 and b^2, I applied the two basic properties of the ellipse. (1) The sum of the distances from any point on the ellipse to the foci is equal to the length of the major axis of the elipse and (2) c^2 = a^2-b^2 (where a & b are major/minor axis respectively)

This is a bit complicated.

Easier to find where they intersect, and then find the gradients at that point. :smile:

Thanks for the two tips tiny-tim. I was able to solve for a2 using your idea. Since the parabola and ellipse intersect at right angles, the product of the two tangents at their intersection is -1. I first solved for y2 using
(dy/dx)ellipse x (dy/dx)parabola = -1, then equated this to the equation of the parabola, y2=2px.

Once again, thanks.

1. How can I determine the equation of an ellipse from its intersection with a parabola?

To determine the equation of an ellipse from its intersection with a parabola, you will need to use the standard form of an ellipse equation and the equation of a parabola. By setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for the variables, you can find the values needed to determine the equation of the ellipse.

2. What is the standard form of an ellipse equation?

The standard form of an ellipse equation is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes respectively.

3. Can I determine the equation of an ellipse if I only have the intersection points with a parabola?

Yes, you can determine the equation of an ellipse if you have the intersection points with a parabola. By using the intersection points as coordinates and setting them equal to the standard form of an ellipse equation, you can solve for the variables and determine the equation.

4. What information do I need in order to determine the equation of an ellipse from its intersection with a parabola?

You will need the coordinates of the intersection points, as well as the equation of the parabola. With these pieces of information, you can set the equations equal to each other and solve for the variables to determine the equation of the ellipse.

5. Is there a specific method or formula for determining the equation of an ellipse from its intersection with a parabola?

Yes, there is a specific method for determining the equation of an ellipse from its intersection with a parabola. This method involves setting the standard form of an ellipse equation equal to the equation of the parabola, and then solving for the variables using the coordinates of the intersection points.