Improper Integrals: Struggling to Understand Convergence

• Thread starter Zamael88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In this case, the function in question should converge in that interval, according to the given graph. However, the solution manual states that the function actually has an infinite interval of integration, meaning that it does not converge in that interval. This may be due to a mistake in the solution manual or a misunderstanding on your part. Make sure to carefully check your work and consider all possibilities before concluding that you are mistaken.
Zamael88

Homework Statement

I don't understand why the following intergral is improper
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1667/38410700.jpg

I have a graph for the function.
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2424/photoxxs.jpg

According to this graph, the function should converge in [-∞,0)
However, my solution manual says that the function has an infinite interval of integration.

Could anyone tell me what I am mistaken?

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Improper integrals may either converge or diverge, that is, have a finite value or not. An improper integral is an integral involving an infinity in either or both bounds, or one whose integrand is discontinuous over the interval.

Oh I should have studied more.

Thank you. :)

"Infinite interval of integration" simply means that you are integrating from -infinity to 0, an infinite length.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the integration limits are infinite, or where the integrand function is not defined at one or more points within the integration limits.

2. How do we determine if an improper integral converges?

To determine if an improper integral converges, we can use the limit comparison test, the comparison test, or the integral test. These tests compare the given integral to a known convergent or divergent integral, and if the limits of the given integral are the same as the known integral, then the given integral also converges or diverges.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent improper integral?

A convergent improper integral is one where the integral exists and has a finite value, while a divergent improper integral is one where the integral does not exist or has an infinite value.

4. What are some common strategies for solving improper integrals?

Some common strategies for solving improper integrals include using substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Additionally, using trigonometric identities or algebraic manipulations can also help in solving these types of integrals.

5. How can I improve my understanding of convergence for improper integrals?

One way to improve your understanding of convergence for improper integrals is to practice solving various examples and using different integration techniques. It can also be helpful to review the properties and theorems related to convergence and to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, for further explanation and practice.